No announcement yet.

Hi - new to this site - have a problem with bees in my compost bin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By coincidence - another thread today about bees in compost! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ice_89980.html

Comment

Welcome to the forum
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hi, welcome to the forum. I identify bees as big, fat and fluffy are usually bumble bees. Little and a bit skinnier are honey bees. But since you have got a bee guy or lady coming out, hopefully, they will give you the best advice and help.
        sigpic

Comment

Don't forget the skinny waisted ones - wasps! Nasty little stingers

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Don't forget the skinny waisted ones - wasps! Nasty little stingers
            But don't get them mixed up with hoverflies. The larvae are very useful for the garden eating aphids and other pests and the adults can help with pollination as well/
            sigpic

Comment

A very warm welcome to the forum!
              Pain is still pain, suffering is still suffering, regardless of whoever, or whatever, is the victim.
              Everything is worthy of kindness.

http://thegentlebrethren.wordpress.com

Comment

Pennaloopy, under no circumstances should you move the compost bin. If they are honey bees, they will keep returning to where the bin used to be and you could have a lot of distressed bees buzzing about looking for home and their queen. Wait for the expert who's coming. If they are honeybees, your expert will deal with them (a compost bin will actually prove much easier for them to deal with than some places bees start a colony). If they are not honeybees, they will be able to give you advice on what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Almost out today but has got much warmer now .
                  Where abouts were you staying?

Glad mothhawk suggested NOT moving the bees at night - in my ignorance I thought they'd all be sleeping!
                  Just goes to show!
                  We were in Honfleur but travelled to the Normandy beaches and Les Andelys - we never saw any blue sky - such a shame but it didn't spoil our holiday

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                    Pennaloopy, under no circumstances should you move the compost bin. If they are honey bees, they will keep returning to where the bin used to be and you could have a lot of distressed bees buzzing about looking for home and their queen. Wait for the expert who's coming. If they are honeybees, your expert will deal with them (a compost bin will actually prove much easier for them to deal with than some places bees start a colony). If they are not honeybees, they will be able to give you advice on what to do.
                    Thank you Snoop Puss

Comment

Originally posted by noviceveggrower View Post
                      Hi, welcome to the forum. I identify bees as big, fat and fluffy are usually bumble bees. Little and a bit skinnier are honey bees. But since you have got a bee guy or lady coming out, hopefully, they will give you the best advice and help.
                      They are definitely little and skinny!!! I got a good look when it stung me lol

Comment

Hello, welcome to the forum, it's so good to hear that you are taking the trouble to make sure the bees will be ok
                        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Bumble Bees love compost bins, the colony will die out naturally in winter.

Until then, they will pollinate all your fruit & veg flowers for free.
                          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Hello and Welcome to the Vine.

It is brilliant that you are so considerate when faced with a problem.
                            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X