No announcement yet.

Hello from a new grower

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the vine Cycling programmer....my husband is one of those....mounting biking? Time trials?

Comment

Commute cycling mainly, though not so much this year. Hope to get a road bike at some point if I ever have the time.

Comment

Hi and welcome. Your plans look exciting...reckon you'll be looking for more space before long...

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
          Everything you've said sounds really good,I'd leave the good limp leaves on the plant,Ive never bought plants through the post but I wonder after a week of being in the ground & the roots settling into their new bed,the leaves might show a bit of happiness maybe,better to leave on than take off I think?
          Yes I’ll leave them on for now. If I get some new growth I might cut back the leggy stems. Because I’m growing the, quite tightly using standard SFG spacing (4 to a square) I want to try and encourage some compact upright growth and try and keep long sprawling foliage to a minimum.

I got my garlic in the ground today with the help of my daughter. It’s a hard neck variety called Messindrome which I bought from Sutton’s. Big chunky cloves, I’ve gone for 9 to a square so going for quantity instead of size. We will get the broad beans and onions in over the weekend.

I know the beans should germinate and grow a small amount before going dormant for the winter, should I expect to see any growth from the onions and garlics before it gets too cold?

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie View Post
            Hi and welcome. Your plans look exciting...reckon you'll be looking for more space before long...
            Thanks. Yes, maybe. We do have various spaces outside the main garden for some containers. We are also planning to grow some herbs in a planter and pots on the patio.

I played with a few garden planning apps but in the end found using a spreadsheet the easiest. I’ve got a full sowing/growing/harvest plan and a layout plan. This is what I’ve got planned for next year - a lot of variety to see what works best, I’m sure we’ll tweak it in year 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	797C71DB-193E-4DD1-981A-0D27A8246B29.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	2375567

Comment

If anyone has any recommendations or favourite varieties for anything on my plan that will work well with SFG spacing, please do pass them on!

Comment

Hello and welcome.

I do a bit of cycling myself..

You probably will see growth, yes; at least until the weather gets colder..Typically they establish themselves, grow a small bit, then go relatively dormant and take off in Spring...
                I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Thanks. Yes, maybe. We do have various spaces outside the main garden for some containers. We are also planning to grow some herbs in a planter and pots on the patio.

I played with a few garden planning apps but in the end found using a spreadsheet the easiest. I’ve got a full sowing/growing/harvest plan and a layout plan. This is what I’ve got planned for next year - a lot of variety to see what works best, I’m sure we’ll tweak it in year 2.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77416[/ATTACH]
                  Where is north on your diagram?

One thing which stands out for me is that you have chard at the opposite end of the bed to your climbers like tomatoes and cucumber. Chard grows quite large, so you might want to take into account the shade it will cast on slower growing crops.

Comment

I don't grow chillies and peppers but you may need to protect them outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I don't grow chillies and peppers but you may need to protect them outdoors.
                      Yep if you have the bug and like growing chillies and tomatoes, then a greenhouse is next
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lolie View Post
                        Where is north on your diagram?

One thing which stands out for me is that you have chard at the opposite end of the bed to your climbers like tomatoes and cucumber. Chard grows quite large, so you might want to take into account the shade it will cast on slower growing crops.
                        North is roughly bottom right. Thanks for the tips on chard. Perhaps I could swap them and the parsnips around?

I had success growing chillies outdoors this year so I’m fairly confident with those. Peppers are a bit of an experiment, I will see how it goes. I might be able to construct some mini cloches to giver those squares.

Comment

No room for a full size greenhouse unfortunately but I do have around 1.2m x 6m of space down the sunny side of my garage. This is the space I was planning to use as my potting area. I was going to get one of those cheap plastic greenhouses to start with and secure it to the garage wall but I have had thoughts of getting a proper 2x4ft lean to greenhouse down there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X