Scarey larvae

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarey larvae

Whilst removing turf to create the new bed yesterday, we came across two of the creatures pictured. They are about two and a bit inches in length and the size of those disgusting looking things people apparently eat in the jungle.

I think they are summer chafer larvae - can anyone confirm or refute this? Either way, does anyone cleverer than I know whether this is a problem that may result in major problems for me if I try to put the area under cultivation - is two within about four metres of each other likely to indicate an infestation.

I have been over the bed three times with Mr Rotavator, tilling to a depth of some four to six inches.

Thanks for any help

KK
    Attached Files

A cockchaffer grub me thinks!

Comment

It's a cockchaffer grub scared55. They live as grubs for three years and eat plant roots.

Phil
      Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

Here's a good site to look at...

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks everyone - what I had found on the web suggested either a cockchafer or a summer chafer. It seems the larval stage is similar. What I haven't been able to find out is whether it is usual for them to be sporadic or to exist in levels enough to constitute a serious problem.

KK

Comment

Hi Scarred55,

Found loads of the same lave in the ground when I first dug it to make the potager. They seem to like grass land and now that the ground is cultivated I don't seem to find many at all.

Did find lots in the mown grass heap though
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Funny - they're not mentioned in my Larousse Gastronomique, and I always understood there was a recipe for everything ...

KK

Comment

I'm sure someone will be able to provide a recipe ... haha!
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Depends how desperate you are! I'd have to be MIGHTY hungry to eat one of those!!

Comment

Mm - lovely grub!

KK

Comment

You mean there's something the French DON'T eat
                      Live each day as if it was your last because one day it will be

Comment

They're the larvae stage of daddy-long-legs. They live in grass, lawns, etc, where they munch on the roots until they hatch - don't appear to do too much damage. They prefer to be undisturbed, so if you dig up the lawn to make a veggie bed, the larvae will be turned up and the birdies will eat them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X