No announcement yet.

How long? How far?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iv'e got to be one of the luckiest lottie people as I turn right out the front door walk 30yards turn right and I'm at the allotment gate. Due to the nearness I probably spend more time than most on the plot, not necessarily doing anything. just enjoying.

Comment

that's sound real good goji - I'm keeping everything crossed that I may get a a lottie this January
      aka
      Suzie

Comment

You could always put crops in that you dont need to check eevry day potatoes, beans, sweetcorn, cauliflowers etc rather than lettuce for example. It may be an idea

Comment

For this year, potatoes could be very good to clear ground - only need to roughly dig such areas then. Save the harder digging and prep for areas you are going to put other crops into this year.

We got ours, totally overgrown and covered in couch grass, last February (on;y a quarter plot, but I am starting small!!). Last summer, we had lots of onions & garlic, 1 seed bag's worth of 2nd early spuds, cabbages, brocolli, and some lettuce and peas as well. (I didn't remember to plant more as we started to harvest! Doh!). And that was only from the front part of the plot that we had managed to dig over (both working and I was in college as well, so time at a minimum during last spring). But we operated on the basis that as we cleared and dug, we planted and that worked very well.

This winter, we have managed to kill off the weeds on the rest (we think) and it's covered in plastic for digging as time allows. The front part is mainly still in use - peas and carrots were pulled on 23rd Dec but there is still a large bed of cabbages, cauliflowers and brocolli for the spring, as well as autumn sown garlic and onions, a row of broad beans and a row of peas, and a row of lamb's lettuce. (My rows are short things - maybe 3-4 feet long, going across the beds rather than down them). And a herb patch.

There are lots of things that you could enjoy very easily. Even if you only work part of the plot you will be surprised at how much you can get if you choose wisely. And if you think that time is drawing to an end in Benson, you can always just grow short season crops that year or hope to get back for a day here and there to harvest - say onions, spuds etc.

Definitely go for it - won't you look good when entertaining the Squadron Leader (isn't he head of Unit?) for dinner based on your own produce? Apart from the pure fun of it for yourself and the joy of eating proper tasting fresh veg.

Comment

Station Commander is in charge of the unit and he already thinks I'm barking - so no worries there!

So, I have me lottie and it is 3 miles drive approx 5 mins - yyaaaay Time spent on it, I will have to report back on this later in the year.

Thanks for all your replies, it has helped me no end - actually it made me go for it
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
              So, I have me lottie and it is 3 miles drive approx 5 mins - yyaaaay Time spent on it, I will have to report back on this later in the year.
              Have you thought about doing a blog Piskie? With all your enthusiasm and style of writing I reckon it would be great.

Also, it would be a good way to monitor progress - a sort of diary if you will. I'm thinking of doing one meeself, but don't hold your breath
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
                Have you thought about doing a blog Piskie?
                blimey! thank you - food for thought
                *see piskie sitting in lottie mud with laptop
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Have you thought about doing a blog Piskie? With all your enthusiasm and style of writing I reckon it would be great.

Also, it would be a good way to monitor progress - a sort of diary if you will. I'm thinking of doing one meeself, but don't hold your breath
                  blimey! thank you - food for thought
                  *see piskie sitting in lottie mud with laptop
                  Oh yes - yes! Do a blog piskie!! And you too scarey! They are BRILL as a record of wot's wot, and all us nosy peeps can see what your up to too!!

And, of course, they look fab with A FEW PHOTOS should you not FORGET YOUR CAMERA!!

Comment

can one lovely lady please supply url to bloggy thing so's we can get sorted - in readiness
                    ta muchly moi 'ansum
                    aka
                    Suzie

Comment

can one lovely lady please supply url to bloggy thing so's we can get sorted - in readiness
                      ta muchly moi 'ansum
                      Here you go luvvie - have fun
                      This is the one I'm thinking of using - there are loads of others and there is one on the Grapevine itself if you want

I'll show you mine if you show me yours
                      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

's what I use - easy peasy to get going, and if you have a play you can do counters and links and 'extra stuff' - take a look at other blogs you like and crib their ideas!! If you need a hand, we can 'talk you through it'!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X