Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting from scratch, I need some overgrown advice!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha I know, with all the time, money and convenient contacts of people who happily lend equipment and supplies I'm sure I could do the same thing!

Comment

On the carpet front I've recently heard that it can have toxic chemicals in the backing which break down and get into the soil - so it's not good to use it where you're growing food - some GYO readers have said it's banned from their sites now.

The good news is that it's easy to get tarp, weed fabric or even damp-proof membrane to cover up the weeds. It's always exciting pulling up the edges and seeing what creatures are underneath too!

Best of luck with your new plot - let's hope the weather is better than last year!

Comment

I've just found a superb site (thanks Sunday Times) on allotments:
        How to design an allotment or vegetable garden - page 2

How to clear an overgrown allotment of weeds
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-02-2008, 03:36 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

you've given me hope

Originally posted by robmurphy View Post
          Thanks loads you wonderful bunch, I have done a bit of reading (In between watching River Cottage)

hi rob,
          i,m new to allotments and have just read your question and repies.
          i have just got my allotment in quite a state and was looking for advice on where to start.
          i'm wondering if you would change anything from the advice given to you or was it all successfull.
          yours hopefully, shui
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 16-01-2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Shui - Hello. It might be worth you starting a new thread as this one is quite old. That way people who are in the same situation or have been can give you up to date advice.
            I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Hello Shui and welcome. As Lumpy said, this is an old thread and rob hasn't be here since his original posts in 2008 - so we don't know how he got on.
              If you'd like to start a new thread, telling us about your allotment and plans for the coming year, we'll be able to give you some advice.

Comment

Originally posted by shui View Post
                hi rob,
                i,m new to allotments and have just read your question and repies.
                i have just got my allotment in quite a state and was looking for advice on where to start.
                i'm wondering if you would change anything from the advice given to you or was it all successfull.
                yours hopefully, shui
                Hi mate i would not use carpet it will not rot away like cardboard will.
                cardboard will do more good.
                I have had 3 plots in three years all overgrown the last one OCT 2014 not been touched for 6 or 7 years .
                Weeds /brambles /miles of couch grass took 2 hours to dig a sq yard with taking all the pieces of couch roots out.
                There was overgrown raspberries /gravel paths/ a tub 3 foot across and 2 foot deep full of stones .I removed 10 barrows of stones/ 6 barrows of gravel. and 5 compost bags of couch roots and weeds

I took pics but you could not see over the weeds all 5 feet high, i have plenty of pics to post before and after.
                My solution was in OCT i sprayed with roundup i could not find a bare patch to start digging.
                After 2 weeks it was dying after a month NOV i started and i have about 2 yards wide and the width of the plot to finish.
                Its been hard but nearly there.
                The other 2 plots before were also overgrown and i put black mypex on and left it for 6 months all it did was kill the top.
                Stick with the roundup but you will have to wait till it gets warmer.
                Cheers Peter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X