No announcement yet.

Lottie Dog?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a problem at this time of the year, or with the weather here at the moment, but think about some shade for the pooches.
    Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

I've got a German Shepherd puppy who loves to dig! Had toyed with taking her, but the lottie would finish up like the Somme!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

at Snadger. She'll grow out of it Pads used to dig like a good'un, but she doesn't now, unless I show her a big root I want digging out! (And why haven't you put pics on the Chat thread??!!)

I take Paddy to the allotment with me every time I go Shortie. She never bothers anyone else, and never wanders off either. But then she's been going everywhere with me since I got her, and she's never been a wanderer. The more she goes with you, the more used to the routine she'll get, and she'll learn what she's allowed to do & not do.
        Give it a try

Comment

I take my yorkshire terrier to the lottie and the lottie is fenced or I wouldn't take him. He just wanders up and down the path or sits in the shed looking out the door if it's cold! I pick up his poo and take it home. Another lottie holder takes a terrier too and I have seen other dogs but no-one would let dogs run loose or annoy anyone else. I have a border collie puppy but wouldn't take her with me as she isn't calm!

Comment

A puppy pen in a shady spot might do while still a puppy.A nice big raw bone to chew on will keep him occupied whilst you are working.
            I used to take my beloved Wesh Collie,Taff to the plot with me.He knew not to move from my plot but ate all my raspberries!!

Comment

Hi again. I don't like the idea of a leash at all as this is frustrating. Dogs are always more aggresive on a lead anyway. Mine would be mortified id I tied them up for no good reason. If you aren't allowed a fence buy some native hedging or even the cherry hedging then you get fruit and a boundery. Cavi's are very clever and very lovable dogs, call back with kindness and they will never want to be anywhere else. If you buy a big piece of paddywack or equivelent clean teeth and a very qiet dog. Problem solved. Good luck girl.

Comment

I'll sit on the fence on this one - I'm scared of most strange dogs (once I know them ie friends dogs i'm okay), and our lottie does specify no dogs (along with 'no permanent fruit bushes' .. lol) . However there are one or two people who bring theirs along - I think as long as theyre tied up and/or and so well trained NEVER to stray away from their owner it would be okay. Dogs wandering around nowhere near their owner would annoy/scare me though

(and before i get accused of having unfair hatred of dogs... I really, really try not too.. on many occassions if the dog is friendly looking and with their owner i'll ask if i can stroke it to try and get rid of my phobia.. doesn't work though
                Last edited by sez; 15-04-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Shortie, presumably you drive to your allotment?
                  If so then you restrain your dog in the car, so as to prevent a two ton missile hitting your head in an emergency brake?
                  That size you use a cage?

Oike the cage out and habituate the pup to "his" spot at the allotment, as he gets older and more trustworthy start leaving the door open. Close it if he comes out without permission, use a key phrase, "In your bed" is a good one.

In time the cage goes and use an old fertilizer sack with something softer on top, I use a bit of old brillopad type carpet underlay, but a poncy soft dog bed would do just as well.

Training in "get off" so he can distinguise between plot and path helps, mine avoids plots and trots around the paths when I inspect fences.
                  Attached Files
                  Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                  Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                  I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Ooooo fab idea Peter, thanks! I'll ask Mr Shortie's Dad if he has a spare dog cage from his Dog Handler days.... Our home cage is a tad on the large size and wouldn't fit my car unless collapsed down .. It's the recommended size for a rotweiller

But it's got me thinking - she has a couple of blankets she loves to bits that I could take down.
                    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

One of my sons was knocked down by five dogs one hot summers day at the beach he grew up not liking dogs and friends would always make sure they were out of the way when he went to play, over the years he got used to them and now has a German shepherd as well as a cat, 2 rats, frogs, stick insects and loads of different snakes. He now works in an aquatic and reptile pet shop.
                      My eldest son has a black Labrador that is very excitable and loving but does behave, even so he would not bring him to the Lottie as he would dig up everything in sight !!!
                      I told my kids they could have any animal they wanted but only when they had their own home. We have got cats and have had rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters and fish.
                      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                      and ends with backache

Comment

We go camping a lot and have to keep the dogs on lead.

We "stake" them out, on long leads (like a horse rope, about 3m) to a "n" shaped peg in the ground. We then provide a chew (pigs ear, rawhide etc) and a selection of toys. Tends to keep them happy, and tbh, they don't mind being staked out, providing their lead is long enough to have a mooch around...

Comment

I leave mine on a long lead on a stake in the ground and he has a little dog bed and an umbrella for when its really hot to keep him in the shade, I also find if I take him for a nice long walk first he just snoozes in the sunshine - what a life

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin Becki View Post
                            I adore dogs, but...my lottie neighbour has a ruddy great black lab that thinks nothing of our 3ft fence! He jumped it and landed in the middle of my onion patch the other day - I was not a happy bunny
                            My plot is next to a footpath (not sure if it's an official one) and my veg beds end up with huge doggy foot prints all over them. I love dogs, but as our allotment rules say they are not allowed on the plots - it's a bit annoying that people using the path can let their dogs roam all over them!

I was thinking of asking the lottie trustees if they could put a sign on the gate asking for people to keep dogs on leads past the cultivated area - wonder if anyone will take any notice.
                            Last edited by muckdiva; 22-04-2008, 12:21 PM.
                            All at once I hear your voice
                            And time just slips away
                            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                              at Snadger. She'll grow out of it Pads used to dig like a good'un, but she doesn't now, unless I show her a big root I want digging out! (And why haven't you put pics on the Chat thread??!!)
                              Seconded!! I would love to see some pics of your pup too Snadger.

I have a fenced and gated plot, so take Boo and Max. Boo is better behaved though and Max has great big feet and tramples stuff. Not so sure about doggy visits while I've got stuff growing, because Max would destroy seedlings (he wouldn't mean it though)
                              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post
                                My plot is next to a footpath (not sure if it's an official one) and my veg beds end up with huge doggy foot prints all over them. I love dogs, but as our allotment rules say they are not allowed on the plots - it's a bit annoying that people using the path can let their dogs roam all over them!

I was thinking of asking the lottie trustees if they could put a sign on the gate asking for people to keep dogs on leads past the cultivated area - wonder if anyone will take any notice.
                                I'm with you on that one. I can see just from the responses here that many dog and lottie owners are responsible and thoughtful of other people, but there are also those that aren't. My neighbour barely reacted when his dog tore through our onions like a four legged hurricane!

We are on a private allotment site, so the usual rules and regs don't apply, but the land owner was very disappointed when he heard what happened and said he would speak to our neighbour. I didn't want to make a fuss, but in my heart it bugs me everytime I look at those onions!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X