No announcement yet.

Sheds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, We don't allow sheds either. It is not that uncommon in villages. Whilst I originally thought this was silly I have grown quite used to it and since I took over on the parish council I have no desire to try and change things.

Although some of the above points may have validity in a town they may not wash with a parish council. You firstly have to understand that the PC have the views of all the community to balance, they aren't paid and largely want a quiet life.

You go home at night the neighbours must look on the site when your gone. I can't deny makeshift shanty-town sheds, polytunnels and miniature farms are unsightly to many (or certainly would be out of place on our picturesque site). Even if you wished to construct a super tasteful and expensive mini oak framed barn you will always be tarred by the above image. A council would not be able to grant permission on aesthetics by economics especially on allotments...'but he's got a shed.' would surely follow.

I also agree that locked sheds attract the curiosity to break in.. we have never had so much as a trowel pinched on our insecure site.. Also if the plot becomes unoccupied the shed may be abandoned. There is the problem of removal. Our PC make no profit from our site and certainly don't wish to spend anything.

I doubt the environmental issue would work in a village (in our case ninety percent of the tenants live five minutes away on foot) I actively discourage people bringing their vehicle down the grass entrance track... except if they obviously have a heavy load.

I doubt you could really claim that you need them for toilets in a village either.

We do however allow greenhouses. I think this might be you're best line of argument. However I shouldn't alienate the manager petitions and making his life difficult is less likely to bear fruit than persuading him of the benefits to the site or better still that he needs one!

They are allowed here because a previous allotment manager had one and thus a precedent was set. we now have four including mine... my predecessor built a base and abandoned one in the hedge. I spent quite some time removing the piles of broken glass, re-glazing and putting it up. It is now a very fine glasshouse and I have somewhere to store my stuff after six years...but to be fair the one person who had the original one allowed me to shelter there and i stored a couple of things in there...there were only 4 tenants back then we now have 17 plots.

Finally PC meeting are public meeting you have every right to ask the yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

........................you would also get more work done

)
      Not if you've got a woodburning stove and a kettle in it!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I live in a tiny hamlet;26 houses, 1 pub, 1 farm. There are 6 allotments, all taken, all with a shed and greenhouses/polytunnels. We have no Parish Council. My lottie is in another hamlet 4 miles away;33 houses. There are 26 plots, all heve a shed and a greenhouse and/or a polytunnel. It is run by the Parish Council. The rules are, 60% of each plot must be cultivated in any given year and the plot must be no more than 25% covered structures.
        I will never be able to understand why people make life difficult for themselves or go out of their way to make life difficult for others.
        Allotments need a greenhouse and/or a polytunnel to start crops and a shed to store equipment and sit in while contemplating the plot. It's called tradition. We have lost so much 'Britishness' because it may offend those not native to British soil. Must we also loose the British allotment tradition because of a few beauracrats with a superiority complex?
        http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Sadly we are not allowed a shed either.I do have a great beach hut however so that helps compensate Now if only I could shuffle it up the dual carrigway from Littlehampton........and sneak it in.

Comment

We're not allowed permenant erections either - to use HW's lovely term!! The Council only allow 11 month tenancies as well, because our site is earmarked for a road some dim and distant time in the future and they want to be able to get everyone off the site when funding for the road is available.

2 sheds were erected last year, as well as a beehive. For some reason, the bees got very angry and stung quite a few people - leading to a ban on all animals on site (as in no chickens or bees etc - I don't think there is an actual ban on bringing your dog with you). There was also a written clause in the old agreement about sheds but the 2 were ignored last year. However, this year the LA have insisted that they be removed - one bloke has taken his down and just made a little open-fronted shelter to sit in, whereas the other guy is still inisisting on keeping his. We just bring our tools every time, although I might try to get an old set to leave in a hidey hole up there (my gran doesn't use hers anymore and I might get the fork and spade she has in her garage).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X