when the spuds have gone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BayViewPlot View Post
    GYO did not reccommend as it stated leeks prefer a firmer ground - ie not just dug up
    Depends what your soil's like then eh? Some people's 'just dug up' is other people's 'firm'! I've never had any problems with it - and it doesn't sound like others have.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks. Will get some seeds once the tatties are up and stick them in.

Comment

Originally posted by BayViewPlot View Post
        GYO did not reccommend as it stated leeks prefer a firmer ground - ie not just dug up
        I've never heard that one! Brassicas prefer firm ground, but I've always found leeks quite happy in the recently excavated potato bed. I dig over, remove weeds, "shuffle" (walk over with my walking boots to firm the soil slightly), then make dibber holes and drop the leeks in. Water in and leave - no problems so far except I need to make the holes deeper this year.

Comment

I agree RL- Potato beds are just right for leeks. I think it helps to have well cultivated soil. I water it first so the dibber holes don't just collapse.

I suggest it would be pointless sowing leeks after midsummer.

Comment

Originally posted by lesley12 View Post
            i would also like to know the answer to this. Also, can you sow leeks straight into the ground?
            Yes you can, but you'll have to transplant them part way through to their permanent home, so best started in trays/pots. If you don't you get a lot of green leafy top but very little white below. When transplanting I always dib a nice large hole drop them in and fill the hole with water, never back filling with soil, as this stops the root from swelling and the worms, wind and watering will fill the hole eventually.
            Last edited by Mikey; 28-06-2008, 01:36 PM.
            I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Thanks for the advice folks.

Comment

Anyone who has left it too late for sowing leeks may find some in their garden centre?

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  then make dibber holes and drop the leeks in. Water in and leave - no problems so far except I need to make the holes deeper this year.
                  RL (Or anyone else who knows about leeks ) - how big were the plants when you replanted them? Mine are currently in a seed tray and have stopped growing while still very very thin (sowed them a month ago now). I think I need to transplant them but am sure they're too tiny to go out on the plot yet, they're nowhere near pencil thickness? Plus, the bed is of course still full of early tatties.
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Moggssue
                    I put mine into seedbeds; which consist of sieved soil, compost and coffee grounds all mixed up together and move to final position when they have gained a bit more volume. I do this when they have been grown in seedtrays/pots and seem to have stalled. A few weeks there usually kick starts them off again.
                    Last week, I had a pot of pathetically thin leeks, so popped the pot out and put it straight in a space left by a potato plant and firmed it up around them - they seem to have survived and I'll wait until I have a good metre square and then spread them out a bit.

Comment

Hi Moggsue. I sow mine in a 3" pot then when they are big enough to handle I transplant them to margarine tubs, an inch or so apart each way. This lets them grow on so they are now like pencils or spring onions (without a bulb) and I shall shortly do the dibber and watering can trick - when I've eaten a few more spuds!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Andrea and Flum! I shall move half of my straggly seedlings to a bigger pot (probably an old strawberry punnet thingy!) and the other half to a bit of space on the lottie .... hmmmm, sounds like a bit of a 'speriment coming on??! Then they'll have about 3 weeks or so until the early tatties are all eaten and there's a lovely big bed for them.
                        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I'm not sure I agree...did my own 'speriment (with two different varieties) this year and the ones that I lovingly pricked out to trays didn't grow as well as the ones i just left crowded in a 2 litre pot.(in both cases). I don't think I'll bother next year- just sow in the pot and leave till needed.

Comment

Never heard of leeks needing a firm soil. The usual way to plant is to dibber a hole pop a leek in and just wash some soil in with the watering can. You can't get any looser soil than that. Leeks could be sown at bit like spring onions this late in the season, directly into a bed. You wont get very big leeks, but it would be better than nothing.

Ian

Comment

I get my leeks into an individual pot as soon as they are big enough to handle. I have always found that leaving them in a crowded pot makes them stagnate. I have had the first lot in the lottie for 4 weeks now and they are about the thickness of the bottom of an 8ft bamboo cane. Still have the late ones to be planted out yet.

Ian

Comment

My seedlings are still seedlings despite being a month old - I'm guessing the compost has run out of food for them so they've stopped growing, thus the need to repot. A gal can but try!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X