No announcement yet.

Garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got about 200 mixed cloves to to plant but worried that the ground is too wet and the cloves will rot. I have worked the soil since i first cut it 18 months ago and it is broken nicely having supported beans last year and brasicas this, but still a reasonably heavy clay loam.

does anyone have any suggestions please?
    Last edited by Muddy-G; 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM.
    Cheers

Gary

Dont let the weeds grow under your feet

Comment

Muddy G, you can drill the soil up into ridges (as if you were earthing up potatoes) and plant the cloves into the top of the ridge. That way you'll get better drainage.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
        Muddy G, you can drill the soil up into ridges (as if you were earthing up potatoes) and plant the cloves into the top of the ridge. That way you'll get better drainage.
        Thanks Alice - it is soo soggy out there at moment after two days of constant rain - i'm going to leave it a week - ordered all my timber for raised beds yesterday too so that might help.

is there any specific hieght for the ridges that would give a significant advantage?
        Cheers

Gary

Dont let the weeds grow under your feet

Comment

This is my first year growing garlic, so like snakeshack I bought the variety pack from the Garlic Farm, seven varieties plus some Elephant. Planted on 10/10, first signs of growth noted on 26/10. Apropriately this was Early Purple Wight, although the Lautrec caught up pretty soon and now a few of the others are starting to show. I'm keeping track of progress on my blog.
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I'm growing garlic for the first time, I planted it late October so I can use all tha advice I can get I planted Elephant garlic as we love roasting it and using it as butter on toast or roasted potatoes. I know Garlic needs a good frost to clove better but for now I have them in pots inside my unheated greenhouse is this ok to do? I also think I planted them a bit deep so may need to unearth and bring closer to the surface is this ok to do too? Thanks for any advice
            Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

ok checked my gralic and its ENORMOUS already, with great roots established, I'm SO xcited
              Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Planted mine on the 10 10 08 and are just poking through this week in the ground not in pots jacob marley
                What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X