No announcement yet.

I am allowed on a Private plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, thanks. For now I have pulled out all the big weeds before they go to seed (sadly too late for the grasses which spilled seed everywhere) and I will just keep pulling up any new weeds that come up. I have planted out my chard, beets, kale, very small, weedy broccoli (which probably won't last but better than in a pot) , Welsh onions and my spare runner and french beans. I don't expect much but added bfb to the holes before I planted. As you can see, plenty of weeds to the right but at least my bit is clear.

I shall scour the nurseries for any trays of veg left but don't hold much hope finding any as it's late. One thing I do want to plant out is Christmas spuds, the roasting type NOT new. If anyone can advise on a decent variety my local garden centre sells gates for £3.99
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Planted.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	2566274

Comment

Maincrop won't work as Christmas spuds. They take too long to mature.
      Although Christmas spuds don't work in the ground, anyway. They need to be in containers to that you can bring them in somewhere more sheltered in early autumn (and even then, if blight is a problem in your area they'll probably not give much of a crop).

There's still stuff you can sow now, though.
      This is the best time of year to sow Florence fennel; you can still sow carrots and beetroot (although they probably won't quite reach full size); you can sow radishes (both the salad kind and the big winter radishes); you can sow a lot of oriental leaf veg, like bok choi, Chinese cabbage, mizuna, etc.
      Last edited by ameno; 30-07-2023, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Well that's put the dampers on the Christmas spuds then Sean James cameron just ordered his for his Youtube allotment. I was excited about that.

I only have 1 packet of Nantes 2 carrots if they are worth a go ?

Oh well, I managed to get some purple sprouting Broccoli, Nero kale, kale and leeks from a nursery in trays and pots today so I will pot them all on in garden soil with some bfb and plant out when big enough.

Name:	IMG_20230730_175047.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	2566298

Comment

Those are all more than big enough to go out now. Brassicas establish better when planted out small (although they are of course more prone to slugs), and those leeks are already getting a bit big, so want planting out as soon as possible.

And I'd say give the carrots a go, yeah. As long as you can keep the slugs off them when still small, and protect them from carrot fly, you should get at least finger carrots, maybe a bit bigger.
          Last edited by ameno; 31-07-2023, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Here’s a thought about Xmas spuds Marb…
            Can you get hold of any Charlotte potatoes ( if not from a garden centre then maybe from an organic food shop ) You could grow them in pots , undercover, at home- but this time you could keep the cost down by using some of the soil from this plot mixed in with your own compost.

Yeh…agreed….get those plants planted out now, and maybe put fleece over the carrots to keep carrot fly away and keep the night temperatures up to encourage them to grow more ( I sow 90 day radish along with them too undercover.)
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have Charlotte already in pots and in soil in the garden since April but hardly any spuds. We don't want new potatoes at Christmas, we want proper roasting and mashing type.

Comment

You'll just have to wait until next year, then, unfortunately. Plant some roasting potatoes in April, dig them up in August or early September, and store them in a cool outbuilding somewhere. They should last until Christmas no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                  You'll just have to wait until next year, then, unfortunately. Plant some roasting potatoes in April, dig them up in August or early September, and store them in a cool outbuilding somewhere. They should last until Christmas no problem.
                  Planted all the above out and will sow carrots and Fennel in modules to start off before planting out to avoid being eaten by slugs. Once everything is planted for over Autumn/Winter (still can't get my head round the fact I can now do this at last) It's tempting to go mad and sow everything I can but I still have a LOT of weeds to clear. Getting there slowly but some days it almost breaks your spirit there is so much.

I could also plant out all my small toms that are still in one pot together. What have I got to lose ? Perhaps those small chillis too

Name:	IMG_20230803_171128.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	534.5 KB
ID:	2566528 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230803_171147.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	2566529

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
                    Those are all more than big enough to go out now. Brassicas establish better when planted out small (although they are of course more prone to slugs), and those leeks are already getting a bit big, so want planting out as soon as possible.
                    Unfortunately the slugs have got to them (even with the netting on) and it's not looking good. Perhaps I should have grown them on a bit bigger before planting out

Comment

One tip is broken up eggshells all around the stems,so slugs can’t get to the plants. I had to do that this year with a courgette plant,planted amongst shrubs/slug hiding places. Slugs haven’t touched it Put the eggshells in the oven after you’ve cooked your meal,when the ovens turned off but still hot,use that bit of free heat (I think I read that tip from this forum) Then the eggshells can be broken up into tiny pieces,collect loads in a container to store. I also added a couple of handfuls to one of my tomato plants when I was planting,I wish I remembered what plant it was,to see if it’s had an affect

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                        One tip is broken up eggshells all around the stems,so slugs can’t get to the plants. I had to do that this year with a courgette plant,planted amongst shrubs/slug hiding places. Slugs haven’t touched it Put the eggshells in the oven after you’ve cooked your meal,when the ovens turned off but still hot,use that bit of free heat (I think I read that tip from this forum) Then the eggshells can be broken up into tiny pieces,collect loads in a container to store. I also added a couple of handfuls to one of my tomato plants when I was planting,I wish I remembered what plant it was,to see if it’s had an affect
                        I have tried eggshells and they didn't work unfortunately. Coffee granules, garlic water and sheeps wool pellets all failed.

Comment

Your plants looked like they needed to be planted out to me but with hindsight being 20:20 you could have perhaps potted them on for bigger/more robust plants.

Unfortunately I think with the awfully wet weather we've had and because you're clearing ground which has probably been a lovely breeding ground for the slugs, it might mean that nothing bar a nuclear assault is going to stop them doing some damage.

Netting isn't going to stop slugs I wouldn't have thought (it's more for the flying nuisances).

On a more positive note, if the plants haven't been completely mullered there might be a chance of them bouncing back - I had kale I thought had been munched to death last year but they did recover.

Edited to add: maybe try some beer traps if you haven't already to drown the little beggars. x
                          Last edited by Andraste; 08-08-2023, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Plastic bottles cut in circles.
                            It makes a coller for the plant until its sturdy and big enough.
                            Definitely keeps the slugs off.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                              Plastic bottles cut in circles.
                              It makes a coller for the plant until its sturdy and big enough.
                              Definitely keeps the slugs off.
                              I shall try that thanks.

Comment

Not a single carrot or radish has sprung in the 4 rows I sowed 3 weeks ago 😞 also more kale's have been eaten by slugs after using sheep wool pellets, eggshells and coffee granules. So that so called deterrent is cobblers. Sheep's wool pellets especially as they are expensive.

Potted my nursery bought sprouts on in pots containing garden soil and bfb as I am not risking them going the same way. And yet so many weeds the slugs don't touch!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X