All male cougette plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All male cougette plants

Grew a few dozen cougettes this year and noticed two or three particularly vigourous plants with many all male flowers by mid August, at least six weeks into my fruiting season so decided to pull them and make space for better access to cropping plants, have i made a mistake that shouldn't be repeated ? The bed did otherwise crop okay from July as June was too dry this year for water rations to be spared on them.
    Growing on north facing mid weight shallow topsoil, clay subsoil in Falmouth, Cornwall

I don’t think you’ve made a mistake,it’s all experimental what we do & try,sounds like there are plenty of courgette plants to harvest from,have you had lots of courgettes? The plants you lifted that were all male probably would’ve produced female flowers eventually,some of mine were later than others,all same variety…

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
      I don’t think you’ve made a mistake,it’s all experimental what we do & try,sounds like there are plenty of courgette plants to harvest from,have you had lots of courgettes? The plants you lifted that were all male probably would’ve produced female flowers eventually,some of mine were later than others,all same variety…
      An average crop from July rains i would say, spread over three different varieties so not complaining at all. There are enough male flowers on the others to keep the bees attracted. I did read the first few flowers are aways going to be male on each plant as have high amount of pollen / nectar to get bees lured in. Seems to be what i observed too.
      Growing on north facing mid weight shallow topsoil, clay subsoil in Falmouth, Cornwall

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X