Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my garden benefit from builders sand?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reluctant to spread any more mixed corn where I am hoping to plant veggies! I have interesting weeds in my brocolli patch now - they look suspiciously like corn and barley
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

I don't think you can use Builders sand, I believe there is too much salt (I think), you have to use horticultural sand.

Sorry

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzy View Post
        I don't think you can use Builders sand, I believe there is too much salt (I think), you have to use horticultural sand.

Sorry

Liz
        No, it does not contain salt, as that decays concrete.
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I will dig it into the 'raised bed' and make that into a permanent onion bed. The shallots were so good in there last year compared to anything else I have tried in it so it might be a good idea.

Might find some energy to dig that over today and see how it goes. It will be good to get the darned stuff off the patio.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

S'cuse my ignorance,but is it ok to keep putting onions in the same place?brilliant if it is!

Comment

I have read a few times about permanent onion beds so I am going to give it a try
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

use it to grow onions and carrotts mixed with heavy soil

Comment

Monoculture.......the growing of one single crop annually on the same plot is possible but can be a lot of work.

Robinson's (of Mammoth vegetable fame) have done it for years and used to give guidence notes on there website?

My own personal feelings are only to adopt monoculture regimes if crop rotation is impracticable.

I have grown carrots in the same bed for the last two years and they have been fine.......but i aint pushing my luck this year and will be growing alliums in last years carrot bed (once I'm finished harvesting them) and carrots in last years leek and onion bed!(again once they are cleared!)
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X