Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've just been offered an allotment...what next!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys,

My list of Q's for tomorrow looks like this:

Water - where is the nearest point/is it provided?

Main Gate - How far is the plot from this.

Fires/BBQ's - regualtions

Allotment Shop - Is there one?

Compost/Manure delivery is this possible?

Are there any known onsite diseases? e.g club root build up etc etc.

I'll let you know how my meeting at 10:30 goes and i'll report back.

Many Thanks

D
    When you pay your annual rent you will usually be handed a copy of your tenancy agreement which should answer a lot of your questions!

We have water on our plots but as an experiment I haven't used mains water this year (apart from filling my kettle........and I could bring water from home for that) I have loads of barrels and a 1000Ltr container.
    I have 14 chooks and a rain barrel in the run that is filled off the chook house roof........they have never tasted mains water this year either!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ok the verdict is in.......i am now an allotment holder! It's a 5 rod plot divided into 3rds. The first 3rd has been recently dug over and looks pretty good. The next 3rd has been given over to asparagus, strawberrys, and raspberrys autumn and summer with cage, the last 3rd has two pallette compost bins and grass.

Water is provided at the front of the plot, fires can be had between oct and march, clubroot is in the soil and could be an issue, the allotment shop is well stocked and the members shed has a kettle and microwave, tools can be left on site in the lock up, Bumper loads of manure can be delivered but only to be stored on your plot.

I'm extremely happy with my plot and the addition of established aspargus and raspberry rows is a great bonus.

Many Thanks for all your help

Alex.

P.s I've even found out that there's another grape in the plot!
      www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
      www.outofthecool.com
      http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Brilliant news mate! All the best for it.
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Fantastic! Anyone we know? (Or a lurker?)
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Ok the verdict is in.......i am now an allotment holder! It's a 5 rod plot divided into 3rds. The first 3rd has been recently dug over and looks pretty good. The next 3rd has been given over to asparagus, strawberrys, and raspberrys autumn and summer with cage, the last 3rd has two pallette compost bins and grass.

Water is provided at the front of the plot, fires can be had between oct and march, clubroot is in the soil and could be an issue, the allotment shop is well stocked and the members shed has a kettle and microwave, tools can be left on site in the lock up, Bumper loads of manure can be delivered but only to be stored on your plot.

I'm extremely happy with my plot and the addition of established aspargus and raspberry rows is a great bonus.

Many Thanks for all your help

Alex.

P.s I've even found out that there's another grape in the plot!
            You jammy so-and-so.... sounds like the Harrods of plots.!

Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

no not a lurker at all,

welcome to the allotments Duronal, look forward to eventually meeting up, I was over the site this afternoon, you don't even have to walk far to the kettle!!!
              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
              Bob Dylan

Comment

Hurrah i went down to my plot after work today and did and hours worth of hoeing, chopped down the ugly ferns next to my compost bin (encroaching on an edge) and moved all my cut asparagus and rasberry canes. I'm planning to burn them if i can this weekend. do you think the fire would have any adverse effect on the soil??
                www.outofthecool.com

Comment

sounds like a great plot duronal , asparagus very nice
                  two grapes on the same site , great stuff
                  Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

Hurrah i went down to my plot after work today and did and hours worth of hoeing, chopped down the ugly ferns next to my compost bin (encroaching on an edge) and moved all my cut asparagus and rasberry canes. I'm planning to burn them if i can this weekend. do you think the fire would have any adverse effect on the soil??
                    Digging in the ash will actually help condition the soil, years ago farmer's used to burn the remains of their crop after harvest to help sterilise the ground i think, but we at the fire service put a stop to that due to the danger of it spreading!!!!!!

Comment

Well i had my first fire today! Clouds and clouds of smoke thanks to the fur tree. I think they'll be one more burn and then i can dig everything in a really start to prepare for this years crop. It's all very exciting.

D
                      www.outofthecool.com

Comment

duronals new lottie/

Oh dear Duronal dont tell me you forgot to ask the most important question before signing on the bottom line for your allotment????????
                        That being......is there a small level space of about 4" square to place your wine glass. Whilst you step back in the summer and admire your handywork.

Comment

welcome to the grapevine i'm glad your lottie has a good start as it will be easier to cultivate,i'm stil waiting for the bridge over the river to replace the 2 scaffold planks we have now,not even safe for a wheelbarrow, as for the shop and kettle(sniffs and wipes away a tear) I can only dream
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

With so many councils having waiting lists-some as long as several years-I would be tempted to just accept and sign the form asap. However it is always worth going to the plot and check it out, normally with either a site rep if you have one or any of the other allotment holders.
                            Incidently this is my first posting as I have just registered, I am a rep for a site of 72 plots and have been for a few years.
                            Good luck and enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by lottyrep View Post
                              With so many councils having waiting lists-some as long as several years-I would be tempted to just accept and sign the form asap. However it is always worth going to the plot and check it out, normally with either a site rep if you have one or any of the other allotment holders.
                              Incidently this is my first posting as I have just registered, I am a rep for a site of 72 plots and have been for a few years.
                              Good luck and enjoy
                              Welcome to the vine lottyrep. I agree wholeheartedly. I was offered a choice of three allotments initially and procrastinated for two days before making my mind up. When I returned I had a choice of one as two had been let (could have been worse as they all could have gone!)

Naturally the one I got was the worst of the three!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

ahh that's unfortunate snadger. I learnt that there was another plot which went the day before i turned up....same size but with a shed and an immaculate greenhouse. The plot requires more work but i'm still gutted about the green house. Hey hum though, any allotment is better than none! I'm just contemplating whether or not i make some raised beds or simply go for a more natural field like style. I'll see if i can take some photos as it looks at the moment.
                                www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X