No announcement yet.

Railway Sleepers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Railway Sleepers - Reclaimed Sleepers Hampshire - Telegraph Poles - Bricks - Roof Tiles - Slates

This site may put your mind a bit more at rest. It only refers to "constant contact" situations.

HTH

Comment

I must admit from my initial findings I was very put off from usng my railway sleepers but to be honest looking back at how I have used them, they really worked amazingly well and I was so happy with what I had built and most importantly my vegeatables were very happy and were very tasty

I have been some what scaremongered as 'sewer rat', has said, but it was very off putting to hear some negative feedback about using railway sleepers.

Thank you so much everyone for your comments, I am going to go ahead and build my new beds this weekend
      Those that forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

Comment

I have been preparing my little patch in anticipation of the arrival of a dozen railway sleepers due in about 10 days time. I was already aware of the legislation about their use, ie not to be used for picnic tables etc, so I have no hesitation in using them for raised beds.

When I was young my dad annually cresoted the fence, then in the summer he netted it over and grew runner beans against it. No ill effects to anyone is our household.

Edwardo82 - look forward to hearing how the construction went! Are you proposing to metal-bracket the corners, let their weight hold them in place or someother means
        ?

Comment

Good for you..I would have used them!

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardo82 View Post
            Thank you so much everyone for your comments, I am going to go ahead and build my new beds this weekend
            Good for you Edwardo. One web link put the creosote risk in the same category as a "Char grilled burger" - so in my case the carcinogens from garden bbq's will get me first as I do enjoy garden bbq food.

At work we have had a risk identified as 0.2% probablility - however I have had to produce a management plan to cater for it.

Where does it all stop? Life is a risk Crossing the road is a risk. Driving is a risk. Eating burgers is a risk.

Am I at risk if I ignore all the above risks? LOL

Enjoy your raised sleeper borders and enjoy your vegetables.

To my mind you have considered the risk and made your decision accordingly. Enjoy!

Comment

Visited an out of town centre yesterday and they have used hundreds of railway sleepers to make raised beds for kids; disabled gardeners; raised ponds / water features for fish and wildlife; herb gardens; vegetable gardens; flower gardens - it looked fantastic and so user friendly.

We had our sandwiches sat on them watching bees and butterflies and with the sound of trickling water from a raised water feature behind us - and yes, the water feature was made from railway sleepers.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
                Visited an out of town centre yesterday and they have used hundreds of railway sleepers to make raised beds for kids; disabled gardeners; raised ponds / water features for fish and wildlife; herb gardens; vegetable gardens; flower gardens - it looked fantastic and so user friendly.

We had our sandwiches sat on them watching bees and butterflies and with the sound of trickling water from a raised water feature behind us - and yes, the water feature was made from railway sleepers.
                *And it took ages to get the creosote stains out of our trousers*
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X