No announcement yet.

Scaffold boards for raised beds....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make my raised beds out of inverted wine bottles.

They are no more dangerous on the plot than glass greenhouses (in fact I've never broken one).
    Attached Files
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      I make my raised beds out of inverted wine bottles.

They are no more dangerous on the plot than glass greenhouses (in fact I've never broken one).
      And it's so much fun emptying the bottles!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Look out the number of your local window replacement firm (not the Big Names - they'll try and sell you a conservatory you don't want) and ask if they've got any old facia boards. A lot of window replacement Co's also do guttering replacement and before my raised beds were built our barn was full of usable planking from different jobs Husband had done. Guess where it is now! Worth a try, but really, don't buy a Conservatory unless you want one!
        When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Some of my beds are edged with bricks found around the allotment, some are edged with wood scrounged from a skip, and a couple with decking boards which were on offer in B&Q.
          I think if they were at home I'd want them all the same, but on the allotment I don't mind if they're a bit mixed up.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
            Some of my beds are edged with bricks found around the allotment, some are edged with wood scrounged from a skip, and a couple with decking boards which were on offer in B&Q.
            I think if they were at home I'd want them all the same, but on the allotment I don't mind if they're a bit mixed up.
            I think you've got MY lottie by mistake Sarah!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Like a few others, our site gets wood delivered free from Somerset Wood Recycling, a local charitable company which reuses pallets and other used wood. If it can't be reused commercially they dump it on us. They are exceptionally fussy and we get some really good pieces plus the bad bits get burnt on bonfires.
              They get varying sized pallets plus old scaffold board but you can only buy the good stuff from them, the stuff that doesn't pass quality control, we get.
              Free is good!
              All my beds are made from their cast offs.
              Owning a garden doesn't make you a gardener any more than owning a garage makes you a car.

Comment

I use scaffolding boards cos I get them cheap.I paid £3.00 for 12 ft boards, 2 cut into an 8ft and a 4ft gives me a raised bed.I now have 16.
                At that price they have to be the way to go for me ,if i could find a cheaper option I would use it but for now they'l do!
                don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Keep trying and trying different scaffold places, I'm lucky my lottie is near to an industrial estate and there's 3 different companies. I asked the bloke in the yard at one and he said come back tommorrow when the gaffers not here. Got 20 8ft boards for £20, the quality of these boards is so good built some beds out of pallets and no where near as sturdy or will last as long. It's always worth the trip anyway because if there's no boards they've always got a great pile of used scaffold debris netting ideal for netting brassicas and they let me have it for free. Patients is key took me a few visits but well worth the weight.

Comment

As this is my second season with raised beds and i have noticed a number of my lottie mates doing the same this year. One guy ,funny enough called Guy, has made his not like traditional ones going the length of the bed but small pieces the height of the bed nailed to battons. The next time i will be at the plot i will take photos and post them. Listen to Radio Suffolk tomorrow at 1.40pm on the plot.
                    good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X