Water storage problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water storage problem

Many moons ago - April 08 to be precise (after the droughts of the year before and before it rained, rained and rained! - yep, its my fault!) I got one of those 1000l water containers to store water. Unfortunately, Ive now got a yuky green slimy film on the top of the water - is there owt I can do to get rid of it? Thanks in advance !
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Stick a hose pipe in and over flow the container it should get rid of most of it ....jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Thanks - how do I get it to suck out? No way am I going to suck!
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Me thinks you misunderstood - you put the hosepipe in and turn the water on to make the tank overflow - the green slime on top of the water in your tank should flow out with the overflowing water - no sucking involved
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
          Thanks - how do I get it to suck out? No way am I going to suck!
          You're married ain't you?
          The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
          Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by sewer rat View Post
            Me thinks you misunderstood - you put the hosepipe in and turn the water on to make the tank overflow - the green slime on top of the water in your tank should flow out with the overflowing water - no sucking involved
            oops! We don't have running water at our site, but Ive been thinking, there is a small hole at the top, if I find something I can scoop the muck out with, hopefully that will work.
            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
              You're married ain't you?
              BW! and you MOM as well!

PS I'm not sure what you mean
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Mine is full to the brim with all the wet weather we had earlier in the year. There's no room for any green stuff as there's no air left in the container!

As the filler is at the bottom of the tank the green stuff shouldn't be a problem until you get low on water should it?

Do you know what was in the tank before hand?.......... and was it well flushed out?

More questions than answers I know!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

you're married ain't you?:d
                  rofl, lmao !
                  Last edited by sewer rat; 04-04-2009, 07:22 AM.
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

BW! and you MOM as well!

PS I'm not sure what you mean
                    Oooops I posted that before I realised I was MOM I meant no harm............Honest!

I mean it's a job for a man(when in a hole stop digging BW)
                    Last edited by bubblewrap; 04-04-2009, 11:07 AM.
                    The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                    Brian Clough

Comment

Put charcoal in the bottom of the tank this is supposed to stop the problem, and also put a few drops of vegetable oil on the surface of the water and this will stop the midges.

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

Oooops I posted that before I realised I was MOM I meant no harm............Honest!

I mean it's a job for a man(when in a hole stop digging BW)
                        of course I knew you meant that all along! No offence taken
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by crichmond View Post
                          Put charcoal in the bottom of the tank this is supposed to stop the problem, and also put a few drops of vegetable oil on the surface of the water and this will stop the midges.
                          Can I use charcoal like you would put in a BBQ? Also, how do I get it to the bottom of the tank?
                          Yes, it was cleaned out properly and it had soap for car washes in it before its second life.
                          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

...........Also, how do I get it to the bottom of the tank?........
                            Turn the tank upside down? Lol!
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry Bernie...........your scoop idea seems the best plan! I don't think it would be harmful to plants if a bit got in the watering can where you could just skim it off when watering?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X