Is there a plumber in the house?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a plumber in the house?

Initially this might appear just be an itsy witsy bit off topic but it occurred to me that lots of you allotmenteers probably have water 'on tap' to your allotments which are likely to be of the 'bib' tap variety.

My garden (bib) tap refuses to turn off completely, even having used a Molegrip on the handle, so have to resort to shutting it off via a stopcock. I'm just hoping that someone out there can enlighten me as to which nut gets turned (adjusted) to ensure the tap turns off and/or if it's a replacement washer I need, which nut do I undo to access its innards?

I'm on a water meter so a dripping taps costs me!
    Last edited by Printemps; 04-04-2009, 01:56 PM.

Try this.

Repairing A Dripping Tap

You might need to regrind the washer seat with a tool.
    Last edited by Capsid; 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

You may be able to replace the tap or renew the washer.

To replace the washer undo the tap body from the bottom half.

Similarly you can undo the tap to the bit that is screwed on to the wall and replace the tap make sure the new tap complies to the regulations to avoid water contamination.

Good luck

Comment

Capsid - thank you for that, it wasn't the actual type of tap that I have but I was able to google it. In fact it may well need to have the seat re-ground, plus the washer - and knowing how these DIY places work, you have to buy zillions of them when you only need one! So I may just get a replacement tap for about the same sort of expenditure.

Devdas73 - thanks too for your thoughts and likewise I think a replacement tap is going to be the answer. As for the water regulations - have no idea if we (in France) have any specific ones for outdoor taps, I'll just buy a replacement and trust it's what is required.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X