Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rabbit wire, is it a necessity

Hi All

I've joined a new allotment scheme in North Cornwall. I have 1/2 a plot and many have put up wire and netting around the plots.

However I do not have the money to do this or the strength to put this up on my own, so is there any advice.
    I've noticed on some allotments certain areas are fenced, which I could manage to do

Is there any particular crops to fence and which can be left

I though garlic was a deterrent, but one of the guys has had his garlic shoots eaten over night

it will be worth it now and will save you money in the long run as rabbits are a pain in the behind and down south it even worse ...........
    http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

You could put a small coil of chicken wire around each individual plant? If you use a bed system you would usually need to net the brassica beds against pigeons anyway so it could be a dual deterrant.

I use enviromesh on my carrot bed which should keep a pesky wabbit out if it can keep a carrot fly away!

We used to have rabbits on our site but we have quite a lot of Gamekeeper wannabees, which helps!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Unfortunetly rabbits are a problem on site, there is a rabbit warren at the bottom end and within the hedge row...

We are on the border of the moor, with the canal, the odd small lane and many fields, so perhaps you are right on the wire point of view

Any cost cutting ideas?

Comment

We recently bought some long fence posts for about £2 - £2.50p each. So not that expensive but they were to put in between posts that was already there just too far apart. Fencing also there already but will need replacing soon. Its worth it in the end.
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

Get in touch with the local ferret group and have them sort out the burrows that should sort out the problem for a couple of months.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X