Just had a thought.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had a thought.

Chicken pellets are only an organic feed if they come from an organic chicken farm!
    Using the same logic.......Blood fish and bone meal can only be classed as organic if it is made from animals and fish that are farmed organically, surely?

A big thing is made of ORGANIC chicken pellets but as far as I know you can't buy TRULY organic BFB?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Has it all been a big con job we will never know ,
    The only way to be truly organic is grow all your own plants to make all your own fertilizer .
    And not forgeting to grow all your own seeds it could get a bit tedious ..jacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

My feelings exactly.

I was thinking about this yesterday whilst cycling to the lottie; coffee grounds are only truly organic if the original plants were farmed organically. I don't use BFB anyway, being a weirdo [sorry, veggie].

I guess you've just got to go with the flow and do what you can.

Comment

It depends on your meaning of "organic".

Organic really means that it once came from something living, as opposed to being man-made from chemicals.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We try to be organic, but if you become too obsessed it can drive you insane. Like Zazen we don't use BFB, not because we are veggie, but because I do give lots of produce to my best friend who is. (vegan, in fact). We mainly use our own compost and sow a nitrogen fixing manure (field beans) in autumn on the bed that has had legumes that year anyway, then dig the plants in in spring. Now we have chickens I'll be using their manure - they're organically fed - and we've been composting our rabbit's droppings for years. Vegan friend says she's OK with that, but I wouldn't import say farmyard manure out of respect for her. This system has kept our plot beautifully fertile without needing much else.
          Last edited by bluemoon; 08-04-2009, 07:52 AM.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Funnily enough was having the same conversation with my vegan friend yesterday. I took her some seedlings which was fine but she wouldnt want anything grown on with BFB
            Bit off topic but what do you give your vegan mate when she comes for lunch Bluemoon?
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

rice, potatoes, felafel, salad, any veg, tomato and bean chillis, curries, soups, breads, pastas, yada yada yada...lol

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                Has it all been a big con job we will never know ,
                The only way to be truly organic is grow all your own plants to make all your own fertilizer .

When I make my own "organic" compost from garden and kitchen waste I do it by rotting down plants etc that have been growing and living.

Coal is similarly formed from trees that were once growing and living in just the same way, so are the chemicals, weed-killers and insecticides made from coal Ok to use in organic growing?

From the same thought comes bio-fuels. Since the world now produces bio-oils from rape and other plants, are the chemicals, weed-killers and insecticides made from bio-fuels Ok to use in organic growing?

It seems to me that extracting chemicals from bio-fuels must be just the same as extracting juices from rhubarb or comfrey leaves.

Confused !!!!!!
                The proof of the growing is in the eating.
                Leave Rotten Fruit.
                Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
                Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
                Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

It's just as confusing as whether a veggie should wear leather shoes- or wear synthetic ones and pollute the planet...as other peeps have said- you just need to do what you're most comfortable with!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    ....................you just need to do what you're most comfortable with!
                    I totally agree Nicos!

I am comfortable with using blood fish & bone meal but not comfortable with growmore.

I don't use poultry pellets but if I didn't have my own poultry I would use them, even if they were'nt the organic type.

I won't use any weedkilers including Glyphosate on the area I am growing veg.
                    I will only use soapy water as a pesticide preferring to squelch pests
                    I won't use any inorganic granular or Miracle grow type products.
                    I will feed with Comfey tea or manure water.
                    I will add as much organic material as I can possibly get to my land including home made compost and any animal derived farm yard manure.
                    I won't use carpet for paths (Damm stuff blows away anyway!)
                    I intend using more straw as mulching material
                    I try not to use peat derived composts but do use peat for making my own John Innes type compost as I find other stuff pretty carp for this and my feeling are that the air miles cancel out the peat bog argument to some degree.

Each to there own I say, and I certainly wouldn't try and sway anyone else to my possibly false logic!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                      Funnily enough was having the same conversation with my vegan friend yesterday. I took her some seedlings which was fine but she wouldnt want anything grown on with BFB
                      Bit off topic but what do you give your vegan mate when she comes for lunch Bluemoon?
                      This is a real problem as she refuses all animal products and I refuse to use rice due to air miles/disenfranchised peasants and I don't think a vegan recipe exists that doesn't contain rice. We've sort of agreed never to eat together... though we did take a camping trip together about three years ago and almost killed each other with frustration every meal time. Now I just tend to do a boring salad and she brings her own dressings.
                      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

OMG OMG OMG

I will only buy free range chicken, duck, turkey and so on even though it's a struggle to afford them at the moment but cannot let go of those principles...... but............

I've just thrown 3 boxes of Chook manure pellets over the paddock and used them on various veggies without even giving it a second thought...... OMG
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

what's the problem with horse manure? ,they are not bred for food (well not here anyway)
                          don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                          remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X