Rods

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rods

i'm now looking into allotments and what is a typical 10 rod allotment plot? please
    Blessed Be

Dunno, I've had allotments for years and I've never understood what a rod is either. Ours is about 350 square metres and is considered a largish one. Perhaps a typical 10 rod 'average' one will be about 250sq M, but that is a guess, based upon the plots I've seen over the years.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

A rod is an old unit of measurement, not sure what the metric eqivellent would be, but I am lead to believe that 1 rod was the distance from the rear of the plough to the head of the oxen pulling it.

Comment

I've read that 10 rods are roughly 253 square metres.

Comment

The rod as a survey measure was standardized by Edmund Gunter in England in 1607 as 1/4 of a chain (of 66 feet), or 16 1/2 feet (5 1/2 yards) in length, in the 13th century. - taken from Wikipedia (so it must be true

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

ok thanks all
            Blessed Be

Comment

There's lots of discussion on the forum about lottie sizes, put 'RODS' into the search. For starters, try this one:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ize_27098.html
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Will this help?
                Imperial Measures of Length
                The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                  I've got a Ramsdens chain in the garage somewhere............got it from the farm next door when it ceased to become a farm and was turned into yuppie apartments!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

or i could go to the allotments and talk to the people there lol, i'm useless when it comes to maths,
                    Blessed Be

Comment

Allotments

I put 10 rod allotment into google and found the above.

Comment

We are having a little battle with our town council and they are insisting an allotment is 5 rods long. I am saying it's 10. Therefore a little research brought to light that a rod is 5 metre's/5 & 1/2 yards or 16.5 feet. Apparently it is the measure from the ploughmans handles to the nose of the horse. It is also known as a perch. Hope this clarifies things for you. I think our council have an elastic tape. They have just taken over the running and are completely clueless. There is also one councillor, who, wants the rent doubled as he believes we can make £5000 to £6000 profit per annum. What with blight, carrot fly, mildew and the time spent cultivating the plot he is obviously a sandwich short of a picnick. Stiil there's ameeting weds so all are going.

Comment

Not to hijack...but Lez, it is so refreshing to know there is a council more clueless than Aberdeen's ! Best of luck with the shower you have.
                          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

gosh you're all so lucky! here in "sunny" putney in the last 18months we're sharing plots and are down to 2.5 rods each!

Comment

Originally posted by RowanStar View Post
                              i'm now looking into allotments and what is a typical 10 rod allotment plot? please
                              The definitive answer is this.
                              Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                              Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                              I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X