Onion theft...too late to plant more?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion theft...too late to plant more?

I was showing a friend round my plot yesterday when I noticed that someone had been on my plot and ripped out my onions. Whoever it was was working fast and just grabbed at them, breaking some off in the process. They got away with about a third of the bed. These were overwintering ones and were doing really, really well. I was gutted and spent the night plotting revenge on the scumbags.

Anyway, is it too late to plant more onion sets now?
    My 2014 No Dig Allotment
    My 2013 No Dig Allotment
    My 2012 No Dig Allotment
    My 2011 No Dig Allotment

yep, I planted mine today as had no space ready before. Lots of people stll planting onions on around my allotment site

Comment

I have some more onion sets to go in and I am going to start by filling in the gaps.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

We are still preparing our onion beds!!!...at least another 7-10 days for us!...plenty of time for you.
        Sorry to hear your news though....so what unmentionable thing did you decide on to get yr own back on them????
        Last edited by Nicos; 13-04-2009, 06:13 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Sorry to hear about your theft, I was advised when I only had part of my new plot dug over a few weeks ago,to plant some onions & then when I had cleared more of the area to plant every couple of weeks.
          So you should have time to plant some now (I can even send you a net of autumn king onion sets if you need them, think I already have enough,6 rows)
          Last edited by DexR; 13-04-2009, 06:58 PM.

Comment

That's awful, sorry to hear that
            AKA Angie

Comment

Suggested revenge/theft prevention measure.
              1. Buy some supermarket onions -preferably with a bit of leafy attachment.
              2. Buy some nice thick copper wire and thread each onion onto a legnth of it.
              3. "Plant" onions in onion bed.
              4. Wire whole lot to mains electricity.
              5. Check onion patch daily for small, black, shrivelled objects attatched to onion. - That'll be your onion thief!
              When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

That's terrible Lazgoat. Just what kind of degenerate would make a thief of himself for a few onion sets. Shocking. Sorry for the trouble it's caused you.
                But you can still plant some more and hope the degenerates leave them alone.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Great, there is time then, better get on with it!

Creemteez, nice idea, however mains supply is a way off! I was thinking more along the lines of pitfall traps and other unmentionable devices....pliers and rusty nails came to mind though.

DexR, thanks for the offer, very kind of you. I'm in Norwich so could meet up, where are you? PM me?
                  Last edited by Lazgaot; 13-04-2009, 09:14 PM.
                  My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                  My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

I was in Norwich yesterday, and Saturday! I could've dropped you off some spares.
                    In exchange for a baby African Grey, can't find one anywhere yet.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

are you sure it was not pheasents or other bird creature as this happened to mine where some were up rooted, also if not planted deep enough onions can push themselves out too and then the birds get them.
                      http://norburger.blogspot.com/
                      http://www.justgiving.com/jasonnorledge

Comment

I've still got "over wintering" ones in pots that I have yet to plant in teh ground. Going to plant some spring sets hopefully tomorrow night.
                        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Norburger, no chance this was a bird, unless it was wearing size 9 boots. Have a look at this. They are/were big plants!
                          My 2014 No Dig Allotment
                          My 2013 No Dig Allotment
                          My 2012 No Dig Allotment
                          My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X