No announcement yet.

Back Injury = Digging Dilema

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Wizer! I know it seems a shame to give up your first lottie, but what you have decided sounds good to me. The main thing is to remember you are doing this because you enjoy it - and thats the main thing! Do take care, and take it easy! and I'd love to know how you get on. Best wishes Bernie aka Dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi wizer
      The offer still stands anytime ok even next spring,my plot is in Dartford Welcome ave what about you?

Comment

Hi Wizer. Sorry to hear about your predicament and I sympathise. You've been given loads of great advice and suggestions and even though it seems hard now you'll probably realise it's for the best when you look back. You are taking the right steps re exercise etc. The important thing to remember is if it hurts stop, rest and when you start again don't go for so long.

I worked for three year in chronic pain and we call it pacing. Andrewo is right about the problems that can arise if you push through and we never advise anyone to do that. Once you have got to grips with the pilates and if funds permit try some massage or reflexology. Tui Na is very effective. Musculo-skeletal pain can be excruciating (I've had a bad back myself) but with the right approach can be overcome and you will be the fitter and wiser for it. It's also important not to go to far the other way and become chair bound. Although as a lottie holder that is probably very unlikely.

Best of luck and keep posting.
        Amy
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Sometimes the hardest thing is making a decision on how to proceed - so thoughts with you on that one. I still can't believe how good the no dig system is, so hope it works well for you.

Could Pilates help us all do you think? Have no idea what it involves, but I am now finding that a Radox bath does not do the business for the back!
          ~
          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Am a bit biased as it works for me but have found that pilates really helps release any back stress and generally put my body back to where everything should be. Don't do it every day but find that even 5 minutes of stretches when I get up can really help. If you're interested give it a try and see if it works for you.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

NTTP: I'm over in Welling, i'll have to pop over in the spring and see how your getting on.

Jen: Pilates is about very controlled movements, stretches and breathing. It is not 'hard' at all and even after one lesson i'd recomend it to anyone, bad back or not. You ca see how it will help with body alignment as well as de-stressing the body. The one thing I am going to have to work on is the co-ordination. You have to breath in and out at certain points, whilst tightening muscles in the tummy and positioning the back. Sounds harder than it is, just practise I suppose.

The day after my class I felt fantastic, today a few aches have returned but I can't wait for my next class.

I'm also eager to get back on the plot now I have forumlated my master plan. I'm not going to do any heavy work until the new year. But for now I have some gentle weed hacking to do and general clearing up. I will be repairing the poly tunnel this side of xmas, but that shouldn't be too hard now I have worked out how im going to do it.

Thanks again guys. I'm going to start updating my blog again soon, so you can see how I get on. Obviously i'll still be hanging around here seeking help and advice

Comment

Can you please tell me what an Azada is ?
                Having dug part of the lawn up, I am pleased with my first year in veggy growing. Am now making rustic raised beds and thanks for the info.

Comment

Hi Bea-Jay and welcome to this mad house. An Azada is a tool for digging that you swing above your head and it looks deadly to me. Here is a link to them www.get-digging.co.uk/tools.htm
                  [

Comment

I think with my aim, I'd take out both my shins in one whack!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for explaining Pilates Wizer - sounds interesting. I;ll look out for it up here.
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Azada's are only deadly to the ground.... unless you slip that is. Very good tools used abroad. My mother in law is 69 and still digs her garden with one of these. Her garden is 20 meters square. She lives in Sicily and up a mountain

Nicos, how can you miss the ground :-)

No 1 suspect

Comment

Thanks for the link LJ - I've got one on my Christmas list - well a small one! Do you really have to swing it around you head ?
                          ~
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yes! I think they are deadly looking. I would guess if you swung too far back that you would fall over backwards!
                            [

Comment

Lol, I can just picture that one
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

So can I Nick and what a sight I would look!!
                                [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X