Plot of earth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot of earth

On the lottie that I'm helping out with there's a fairly big plot of soil, longer than it is thinnner. At one end I'm going to plant peas as there is a trellace. Is it a good idea to plant some sweet peas near these?

Also are there other things that I can grow in that same plot of land? Cos it is failry big and don't want to waste it.

Thanks

Hi, Droppy,
    I can't see any reason why you shouldn't plant your sweet peas there too. Many allotmenteeers grow SP's on their plots as they attract pollinating insects -and we LIKE pollinating insects.
    As to what else to plant in the same bed, how 'bout making it your designated "pulses" bed? So take your pick from, Runner beans, broad beans, climbing french beans, dwarf french beans, mange tout, asparagus peas....shall I go on?
    Beans and peas fix nitrogen in the soil via their roots (having cleverly sucked it out of the air), so the ground will be nice and fertile after they finish, ready for a different crop next year! Bonza!
    Oh, BTW, when they DO finish, don't dig them up straight away, just cut them off at ground level leaving the roots in the soil. It'll get a better Nitrogen "hit" as they rot.
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Hmmmmm I seem to have no room for any beetroot, swede or brussels now At the beginning I thought I'd have loads of room, now turning out to be different lol

Comment

Originally posted by Droppey View Post
        Hmmmmm I seem to have no room for any beetroot, swede or brussels now At the beginning I thought I'd have loads of room, now turning out to be different lol
        Same here!
        WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'm not sure i want to do all of those beans etc etc Being a fussy sort.

May look at halving the big patch and plant my beets and swede there, tho not sure how likely it will work tho

Comment

I wouldn't put sweet peas in with peas - I'd not trust myself to harvest the right ones......
            (sweet peas are poisonous I think)
            Tx

Comment

lol good point

Comment

Sweet peas are good in with runner beans, they attract pollinating insects and runners do have pollination problems particularly if the weather is not too good, and of course you can easily see the difference, unlike with peas.

Comment

[QUOTE=Droppey;438499]I'm not sure i want to do all of those beans etc etc Being a fussy sort.

They were only suggestions, luv!

Comment

Hehe I know

I thought about it, mulled it over, thought about it some more but I decided I'm the sort of soul that wants everything mwahahha

Comment

So why not sow a little of everything?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X