Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More 'earthing up' questions....

Spuds growing rapidly!

How high do they need to be before I earth up? How wide do the mounds need to be when I earth up? And how tall will they eventually be?

I started earthing mine up as soon as they showed, no idea if this is correct though. I have found I cant earth up higher than about 6 inches cos the soil simply wont pile any higher than that
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

The thing to do is earth them up a bit at a time then the seedling weeds get burried each time. that is how potato's clean the ground plenty of hoeing and moving the soil about.
      The higher that you want to earth them up depends on how far apart the rows of spuds are if they are to close together then you can't get them to high...jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I don't understand why a perfectly planted straight row of potatoes comes up like a dog's hind leg? my spuds have sprouted out sideways????:

Comment

Originally posted by mythyme View Post
          I don't understand why a perfectly planted straight row of potatoes comes up like a dog's hind leg? my spuds have sprouted out sideways????:
          It is because you earthed them up as soon as you planted them .
          When the spud grows it grows to the light and 3 inches of soil on the side of the ridge is easier to grow through than 6 inches heaped on top it aint rocket science but it took me a long while to work it out....jacob
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
            It is because you earthed them up as soon as you planted them .
            When the spud grows it grows to the light and 3 inches of soil on the side of the ridge is easier to grow through than 6 inches heaped on top it aint rocket science but it took me a long while to work it out....jacob
            LOL that explains a lot!
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

LOL, i earthed mine up the other day and they are popping through the soil already- is it me or do they grow quite rapidly when they get going?

Mine are in a large veg basket/bag type thing so plenty of room for soil yet- bit more difficult to earth them up when they are in the ground though isn't it!

My other halfs mum had to earth hers up constantly over a few nights until it got to the point where the buckets they were growing in were full to the rim with soil.
              My Album, Progress so Far: -
              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

Do the mounds only need to be as wide as the haulms/leaves?

Comment

in rows should i use a draw hoe to draw up the soil into a mound?
                  Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions.

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmo and Dibs View Post
                    Do the mounds only need to be as wide as the haulms/leaves?
                    The mounds you make them bigger as the top's grow bigger
                    Originally posted by cwipnip View Post
                    in rows should i use a draw hoe to draw up the soil into a mound?
                    You can use a draw hoe just the job i use a five tined fork with the tine's bent over at right angles i call it my no 1 firkeling tool no2 is made out of a ladies gardening fork.
                    Good luck with your tater growing i hope they come good....jacob
                    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Just to prove i practice what i preach if i can load the picture taken this morning the spuds was planted on the 14 march 8 inches deep.
                      the ones behind cover are earlys and i am hoping to dig in 2-3 weeks time .
                      and notice no big ridges ....jacob
                      Last edited by jacob marley; 21-05-2009, 04:51 PM.
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X