Allotment neighbour snooping on my plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment neighbour snooping on my plot

I have a new plot in my town, which happens to be right at the back of my house, a set of seven plots. I have a first class view of it from my bedroom and as I work from home get to see who's coming and going most of the time.

To my amazement yesterday afternoon, from my window I saw one of my allotment neighbours walking around my plot, he then reached down, pulled up one of my radishes, ate it and threw the leaves onto my path! He then had a bit of a nose around before pulling at my mange tout plants!

The thing is, with me being new there, none of the other allotmenteers realise that my house backs onto these plots, so he would have had no idea he was being watched. I shouted out of the window at him "Oy - get off my plot" (followed by more rantings) and consequently he walked away pretty swiftly - his wife was looking around to see where the voice was coming from but couldn't spot me.

What do I do? Should I contact the allotment committee? This is the second time I've seen him walking on my plot, but the first time I've seen him take anything. I don't want to cause any trouble. Has anyone else had similar problems? I am now worried that my shouting at him may cause me difficulties next time I go down there.

I would say nothing.
    Leave a notice on your plot, something like "I'm watching you, so put that radish back where you found it".

then retire to your window and enjoy the fun !
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I used to have a flat-mate who used to snoop in my room, and even in the pockets of my coats that were left in the communal areas.
      I left her a note in a pocket once, and she didn't do it again.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think perhaps he knows he has been spotted he wont do it again lol

Comment

I'd leave it be too- he's been rumbled!!!

Looks like he's impressed with your crops though!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think a photo or 2 might be a good idea they don't lie....jacob
            What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
            Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Try and get some video of the culprit in action. Then raise the issue with the site secretary. If it is mentioned that prove is required, produce your video.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Thank you all for your ideas, I mean, it is quite funny, in a way, the cheek of it! I just can't get over the shock, that's all - I thought we were all supposed to be looking out for each other, not scrumping off each other!

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatlois View Post
                  I thought we were all supposed to be looking out for each other, not scrumping off each other!
                  I'd perhaps put that in the note.....

Just shows you what people do when they don't know they are being watched. I'd probably never refer to it and be as nice as pie, and every time he says something just answer 'I know....' or 'Yes, I saw...' whenever you can.

He knows you know now.......I'd also not shout next time but then leave a note on his shed door if he does it again.

[Pin the radish leaf to the door and write 'you forgot this...']

Comment

or whilst in friendly chat with other plotters, mention that you can see your allotment from your house, I am sure word will soon get round

Comment

If he does it again, take some video, put it on YouTube, post the link here and also in a notice on your plot
                      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Jings, there are some strange people out there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I also had similar trouble, the lady next door was nicking raspberry canes from me saying 'well, you've got loads!' I was furious and me dear other half who is so laid back is horizontal, said, well, you do have loads! Not the point. She then dumped a load of old cabbages on my plot. Then recently she admitted that she actually nicks the fruit off the canes as she walks past!! I'm now constructing a cage after all this, something I was going to do anyway but my god the cheek!! I know it makes you feel angry and I'm afraid I would have done the same, shouting out of the window, but like others have said he probably won't do it again, but if he does I'm just pin a note to his shed/greenhouse door informing him that it's not allotment ettiquette to steel off each other. If he continues then I'd speak to the committee. Just because you haven't been there long doesn't give the right to do this. I'd even consider a conversation with him along the lines of 'you know what, some lowlife has been nicking my stuff!' Good luck and don't let him upset you, there's a numpty round every corner!

Comment

I would keep watch and shouting out the window....
                            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I have a similar nosy neighbour, he doesn't take things but seems to feel that he has a right to know all that the rest of us are doing. I know from the way he talks about one or two of the others, there are only 6 of us, that he inspects plant labels to find out what is being planted so I have written 'Nosy D---- Peas' and 'Nosy D---- Climbing Beans' on plant labels! I have made a note of what varieties I've sown so I'm now waiting to see if I get any comment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X