No announcement yet.

Allotment neighbour snooping on my plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a cheek. I'd just drop it out in conversation to the other plotholders that you can see your plot from your house. Tend to look at my neighbours plot to see how their crops are doing/trying to get suggestions etc but never take anything without they've told me to.

Comment

Oh the joy of having fenced plots Anybody can look over my fence, but that's as close as they get unless I'm there!
      I'd be tempted to buy/hire/borrow a proper megaphone to shout out of the window with next time In fact, I think that could be huge fun...

Comment

It wouldn't bother me at all if one of my neighbours was just having a general nosey around my plot, however would be very annoyed if they were nicking produce, however small. There's an old boy who lives near our plots, apparently he used to grow loads of stuff when he was younger and fitter and likes to see what we're all up to. Have seen him a few times coming through (he always stops for a chat on the way past) and he wanders always has a good look over the fences of most of the plots but also walks up one of the plots so that he can get a good look at the chickens there. He's not causing any harm at all but I think he'd annoy some people.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I dont mind people having a look but I would be well miffed if the ate my produce....
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

How sad. Can't believe the cheek of him. His plot must be rubbish then. Maybe he's getting his supper by taking a bit from each plot!

Comment

Wot a cheek !! As he knows you know now I don't think he'll do it again, I bet he got a bit of a start with you shouting at him. When I moved away from home and would write to my friend Teresa her dad would steam open my letters and read them... I started each letter after that with "Dear Clive...." it didn't stop him though if he got to the post first, he was a sod.

Comment

I was thinking of putting some kind of sign up, oh I don't know, it could be great fun but on the other hand, I don't want to be putting his back up - I mean, what if he trashes my plot before the annual competition gets judged or something? Gotta chuckle, I suppose.

Comment

I think you have to confront him and tell him you'd rather he didn't trespass on your plot.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I agree with Snadger, he knows your new and could be just trying it on. Better to nip it in the bud now and everyone knows where they stand, preferably not on your plot without an invitation.

MG

Comment

I would be tempted to keep a camera ready, if he returns then take a pic, use a copier and make a batch of copies and put one copy at each plot with a small note saying "I am fairly new here, is it a standard practice on these plots where people feel free to remove and eat from each others plots?". Then everybody will be on watch because they will not want to lose their own.

Comment

Good one Paul G, I did exactly the same thing when the groundsman poured round-up all over my new plot when I's said specifically that I didn't want that as I was totally organic. I went to the chairman and just asked if it was standard practise to weedkiller a new plot, even if you didn't want it doing? The grounds apparantly thinks he owns everyones plot but he keeps well clear of me now, but he's slowly warming up again. At the end of the day if he's got a grump on then he should have listened to my wishes

Comment

was going suggest a shotgun... but that would damage the veg on the plot.... plus he might fall in a bed and damage the plants....

I'd talk to the others around telling them that you can see your lottie from your window and you work from home.... oh and could they please identify (supply discription at this point feigning innocense[sp?] as to ID) as you would like to ask him to stop nicking your radishes! This way word will get back to him and you'll have warned the other plot holders as to what he is like.
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I like to wander around our site but I never step onto anyone else's plot unless asked to do so. I would never help myself though I know some who do, they think its ok. I have seen a lot of produce go to waste cos the person hasnt been to harvest but thats their problem not mine.
                            Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                            and ends with backache

Comment

Well on our local sites that falls foul of rule "C".

The tenant shall not cause any nuisance or annoyance to the occupier of any other allotment garden or residents of adjoining properties, or obstruct any path set out by the Council for the use of the occupiers of the allotment gardens.
                              Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                              Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                              I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

I often wander around our site looking at plots as I'm very new to all this and like to look for good ideas and techniques from more experienced growers but stealing someone elses produce?? I'm absolutely shocked and horrified that somebody would have the nerve to do that!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X