evicted for not growing enough

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gwyndy View Post
    Allotments are for cultivation, not for cheap storage or for use as overgrown "rural retreats". With sensible planning and some hard graft one can have good crops, flowers, and the rural 'idyll'.
    I totally agree.
    The chap who had my plot before me used it just for burning rubbish from his business (carpet laying).
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The other aspect to this is how long people actually last once they have taken over a new plot. We were under pressure to find plots as there were loads of interested people, so the council came in and rotavated some of the overgrown ones, yet hardly any of the new people have turned up. Some of the plots are quickly becoming overgrown again as people realise the hard work.
      I think flowers and having a space to relax are just as important as veg and so long as the land is being used, enjoyed and cultivated in some respect, then we shouldn't have a problem with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Noodles View Post
        A couple on our site have got a swing on their plot for their todler and have also turned half a raised bed into a sand pit for him. It doesn't take up a lot of the usable space but keeps him occupied so they can get on with the gardening so I have absolutely no objection to it. Using a whole plot for non-growing purposes is out of line though and not in the spirit of what allotments are provided for.
        We have a couple on our site who live in a block of flats so not only do they grow stuff and have a greenhouse they have a swing for the kids so killing 3 birds with 1 stone they can get out of the flat they grow stuff and the kids are safe .
        And the council call them leasure gardens now not allottments ....jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Interesting argument that, Allotments are, by law, for the primary purpose of feeding your family. They should really remain for that purpose.

Leisure gardens are quite common on the continent, In heavily urban areas it would be fantastic to see some green spaces for families who can't otherwise have a garden....not however in place of allotments. It would take a truly far sighted govn't to insist that developers set some land aside for the well being of the community that must live in the estate they have cast in concrete (at a huge profit)

A few years ago most of our allotments were empty and it was a matter of 'how much land do you want lad?'...now they are full. This is in a village where most people have gardens.

In many ways those who have kept more than one plot under control and rented during the wilderness years deserve the thanks of folk who now want some land....because of disuse they would surely be under developments by now. It really didn't matter before if you had a bit of lawn etc. there was plenty of space... it was just less for the council to strim.

Now, It is fair that if someone has more than they can cultivate this land could be reallocated...the familiar tale though is these evictions are so insensitively and inefficiently managed by many councils. If someone has a piece of land for twenty plus years they get pretty attached to it in their soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
            A few years ago most of our allotments were empty and it was a matter of 'how much land do you want lad?'...now they are full. This is in a village where most people have gardens.

In many ways those who have kept more than one plot under control and rented during the wilderness years deserve the thanks of folk who now want some land....because of disuse they would surely be under developments by now. It really didn't matter before if you had a bit of lawn etc. there was plenty of space... it was just less for the council to strim.

Now, It is fair that if someone has more than they can cultivate this land could be reallocated...the familiar tale though is these evictions are so insensitively and inefficiently managed by many councils. If someone has a piece of land for twenty plus years they get pretty attached to it in their soul.
            *applause*

You've found the words that I couldn't

Comment

A son can bear with equanimity the loss of his father, but the loss of his inheritance may drive him to despair. Quote from t'internet

Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince. 1513.

In my version of his book, the quote went more like 'the murder of his father will rankle for a couple of generations but the theft of his land will haunt the family forever'.

Comment

This thread is amusing.

All those previous threads about greedy double plot holders etc....

Now this shows the typical "problem plotholder" who does not cultivate, and does everyone say "Well he had warnings and didn't use it so now it can go to someone who will."?
                Do they heck as like.

Welcome to the world of the Site Agent / Allotment Committee / council Allotment Officer.

Located round the back, between a rock and a hard place.
                Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

evicted for not growing enough.

Agree. However, when I applied for a lottie where there were 3 or 4 untended ones, I was told there was nothing that they could do as the tenants had paid there rent. Can't go any further as they are not council lotties but land owned by "a lord" who rents out the bit of land he owns and doesn't use.
                  There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X