Tomatoe big bud

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoe big bud

Hi folks - I've had a quick search and haven't been able to find a thread about big buds on tomatoes. We had some donated to us for my voluntary group and I could see they weren't developing properly. I have googled and there is something called big bud virus which affects tomatoes but no information about what to do. Do I chuck them? Some tomatoes are growing. I have picked off the affected buds. Any info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

What types are they?

Some toms get a big bud come up first, Flum knows about this, if they are heritage types.

I've not had it myself so can't help.

Comment

First flower on some of the beefsteak types is a big, sort of double looking one. You can pick it off if you like. You often end up with a massive slightly deformed looking tom - with hollow bits etc. I usually leave them - they're edible and make for good sauces. I'm a 'let's leave it and see what happens' type of gardener really. In these cases it's not a disease.

I wouldn't think big bud virus on toms was common - otherwise we'd all have it! Black-currants now, that's another story!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi thanks - they're Marmande which I think are a big tomato/beef variety which I have never grown before. Oops, I may have destroyed the best tomatoes on the plant....perhaps I sincerely hope that its a case of a little knowledge translating into a big worry for nothing.
        A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows

Comment

The rest of the toms will be fine. Many people nip the big ones off as a matter of course. Don't worry about it!

Comment

Thanks - these are for the allotment I help with so I want them to live. I love gardening and find it relaxing but have imperfect knowledge....especially about pesky pests and diseases. The soil on this allotment is not very good because it was 'let go' a bit over the last couple of years. Was growing an impressive crop of grass earlier in the year. The runner beans didn't come up for some reason but as the guys had said they didn't last year either, I planted some up at home in pots which all came up. Any yes, we had 4beans come up at the allotment out of around 20. 2 promptly eaten. Fingers crossed for the beans we have now put in now from my pots protected by plastic pop bottles.

Comment

If land hasn't been worked for a while that can be a good thing. In the real Olden Days (even before I was born!) it was allowed to lie 'fallow' every 4 years. The crops the following year were better because the land hadn't been depleted of nutrients. I would always sow runner (and broad and climbing french) beans in pots or root-trainers rather than in the open ground. Too many things to dig them up and eat them!

Comment

Thanks for the advice Flummery - every single of my second chance beans have come up in pots so next year I wont bother sowing in the ground. I have also unearthed the compost bin and started to fill it. We are lucky that we get loads of stable litter delivered on our allotment site so I have some rotting down for use in the autumn.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X