Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plot nuisances, butt draining

Hi guys,
    D oes anyone know of a product, or has made something that can be locked on to the tap of a water butt to stop it being used without permission. We have had some brainless idiot/s draining the butts, shooting them with airguns and cutting boundary ropes/strings. Nuisance value only I know, but VERY annoying to have to fill the butt all the time.
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

My butt I use for giving water to my chooks is INSIDE there locked run! No idea about protecting from air gun pellets apart from total enclosure with a wooden surround. (made from pallet wood possibly?)Could put a lockable door on front to access tap?

God forbid they ever start on mine cos I have ten barrels and a 1000 litre container!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Yeah, it's called the police.

They treat gun crime very seriously.
      Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
      Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
      I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

The local pcso is keeping an eye on some known individuals re use of airguns, but its the draining of the water butts that is more annoying. Thats why I wondered if anyone had seen anything or managed to rig something up?
        A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
        There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

I'm sorry but I don't know of anything you can buy to lock the tap with.

One suggestion I do have though is to bung the tap up completely. My water butts don't have taps on, and even if they did have, I wouldn't use them because its much quicker to fill my watering can directly from the top by submerging it in the water.

Comment

Go to a plumber's merchants and see of you can get a tap with a removeable handle; a knob or a lever. Then you can keep the handle in your shed or take it away with you

Try asking for a bib tap; that's the sort of tap often used for outside use, or for draining hot water systems. The handle is held in place by a single, accessible screw,but it can easily be removed and the handle taken off to prevent the sort of interference you have described

Or fit a tap/valve which has cutout holes in the knob, also known as a handwheel. Fit a thin chain or a wire strap through the holes and around the body of the valve or the pipe it is fitted to, and secure it with a padlock

Shame to have to go to that amount of trouble though; some people are never happy unless they're spoiling things for other people

Comment

or you could fill it full of horse urine and rig a detonator to the tap handle

Comment

Originally posted by gardenofeden View Post
                Love it! Mmmwwahahah!
                When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Even if you can lock the tap it isn't going to stop a**ehol*s shooting at it.

I agree with Snadger about locking it up in a wooden box.
                  All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                  For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Yeah, it's called the police.

They treat gun crime very seriously.
                    Absolutely, It is illegal to use an airgun within 50 foot of a public footpath or road and that's when you're using it for a legal purpose! (such as killing listed vermin like pidgeons, magpies or squirrels if they've been damaging your crops)

Comment

I came on here today to ask the exact same problem, so thank you for the replies so far! I have a huge water butt to the side of my fence (in the shade) and even after loads of rain last week it didn't fill at all. My lottie neighbour said someone has also been parking on my allotment where I have a space for my car, so I think someone is taking liberties. I have put a rope across where my car goes, but don't know what to do about the butt.

I like the idea of enclosing it in a lockable box..........hmm........ponder..........

Isn't it horrible that people can't be trusted?

Please keep the ideas coming. The tap on mine is a metal one with a lever which you move to the side, if that's any help.

Comment

I have seen some where they have a hole in the handle that you can put apadlock thru.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by gardenofeden View Post

Now thats my sort of fun ,comfrey is a good one . Dig a largedeep hole round butt, line it with pond liner fill with comfrey tea and cover with tarpaulin then bark then sit back and enjoy ,leave a small area to stand on for yourself that only you will know about. What can i say i have an evil streak As for airgun problem rubber cover it with rubber so they bounce of and hit them, i have way to much time on my hands.

Comment

OK here we go not as much fun this is a us site but expect you can get here
                            Similar questions with thing security lock garden tap stop people water

Can you fix a normal tap to butt not sure theres always a way.
                            Last edited by Topcat36; 07-07-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X