Wasps in compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wasps in compost

Tried to move compost from a plastic bin into my new, state of the art, DH built, wooden compost bin. Wasps everywhere! Poor Dexter got stung on the paw and spent today feeling very sorry for himself.
    Does anyone know how to get rid of these pests? Spoke to site supervisor, but apparently they are all around the site.
    I HATE wasps - hence, now have a horrible looking plot with half and half compost bins - but I aint touching it till theyve gone.
    Any ideas? Please...........
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Wasp killer powder does the trick. Spray it in and around where the wasps are when they are asleep at night and retire to a safe distance pronto. You may need to do it a couple of times, but it will eradicate them eventually. Just follow the instructions.

Comment

where can I buy this from?
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Any garden centre should have it. I think I got some from B&Q.

Comment

Brill! Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it. and Im sure Dexter will too!
          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
            Brill! Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it. and Im sure Dexter will too!
            I'm sure he will as long as you don't spray him as well by mistake.

Comment

How horrible for you Bernie, and poor Dexter, hope you get sorted. (I hate wasps too)

Comment

Hi Bernie,

Watch where they are going in and out wait till dusk the squeeze powder at entrance...foam also available for awkward spots. it works well.

Comment

Wasp update

I went down to the lottie for a couple of hours yesterday morning, and had a really good session. Dexter stayed at home - just in case.
                  I managed to move the compost from said "wasp" bin into my new one - didn't see a single wasp - that is until, I had a horrible sharp sting in my left leg - one of the rotten little so and so's had gone up my trouser leg and stung me! Well, I don't think that's too bad - one for me, so Dexter and I can now swop stories, and I have managed to move my compost!
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

If I go bee keeping (or wasp killing) I always tuck trousers into socks, but most importantly without a proper mask, you should wear goggles and cover your mouth. I used to use my old fencing mask although I was stung by a particularly angry soldier wasp in the ear once...most unpleasant!

I tend to leave wasp nests alone unless they're really inconvenient. By and large they are pretty good in the garden...until you have lunch outside or they're drunk on rotting fruit! However they can be very dangerous in compost heaps, a member of our family was very badly attacked by forking through a nest unexpectedly in just that way.

Comment

Thanks for that advice paulottie - I'd never seen anything like it before - everyone beware!
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

You should have called in BilboWaggins she is a wasp wisperier...LOL
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                          You should have called in BilboWaggins she is a wasp wisperier...LOL
                          I've been called many things NOG, but that's a first!

What a shame you had to destroy the wasps, they can do so much good.

Comment

They will have a program about you on sky soon
                            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X