Insurance for plot & Public Liability

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for plot & Public Liability

I have received a letter today from our Parish Council, haven't had chance to speak to any one about it yet, just wondered what experience Grapes have had with is.

It was to do with " once an allotment is let to the tenant that area then becomes their responsibility in respect of insurance "
    The parish council says that their insurance company has said each plot owner must have Public Liability insurance with a Limit of Indemnity no less than £5,000,000.

Has any one any advice regarding this?
    Do any of you take out insurance or is it covered with house insurance??
    Thanks!
    "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

This could be a 'light blue touch paper and retire' post ! It seems this is a common and increasing thing - councils passing liability to the plotholder. Taking out a personal policy for £5M may be quite expensive (£100's even), but you can get cover through various inexpensive routes, such as these guys (who I have never previously heard of and have nothing to do with) and presumably other similar societies:
    insurance
    Insurance is a good idea but dont be bullied into overpriced private policies.
    odd notes about our kitchen garden project:
    http://www.distractedbyathing.net/tag/garden/

Comment

We have our compulsary allotment association insurance taken out through NSALG (Newspace Insurance). It works out at about £2.00 per plot holder and gives 5 million pounds worth of Public Liability cover if I remember rightly!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Try using the forum search for this topic - it has been extensively discussed in the past.

I changed my home insurance to Nationwide last year as they agreed to cover the public liability on our allotment plot. There was no increase in premium for this and they were the only insurer that I found that would offer the cover on a standard home policy. (A separate public liability insurance policy would have cost a minimum of £200.)
        Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

i just use my home insurance for my plot. it covers so much away from the home but i dont think it strechers to 5m liablilaty though

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            We have our compulsary allotment association insurance taken out through NSALG (Newspace Insurance). It works out at about £2.00 per plot holder and gives 5 million pounds worth of Public Liability cover if I remember rightly!
            Do you have to be an member of NSALG, or is it through the allotment society?
            Thanks for the information.
            "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

You can join the NSLAG as an individual...most Public Liability policys are cheap...The National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners, NSALG, Allotments, protect, promote, preserve, grow your own.

IMHO the parish would still be liable for the site, If I came to see your plot and fell over on the main path 20 yards from your induvial plot I could not sue you but would look to the owner of the land.
              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Hi NOG, the parish is saying it is their intention to maintain the public part of the footpaths.
                The allotments were only started up last year, and we do not have an allotment society or committee as such, it is all still dealt with by the parish council.
                It seem insurance through NSALG is the way forward, but as an individual it would cost me £20 to become a member. Maybe we should form an allotment society and act together??

Comment

We pay £2 each for our plots.....as others have stated contact your house insurance they gave me cover for a few events. for free,
                  My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

And if you don't have £5,000,000 of insurance, how are the council going to find out about it ? Seems to me that the council's insurance company has no say legally in what insurance you need to have. Would you let your neighbour dictate what insurance coverage you had on your house ? Insurance on ground you are legally responsible for is your insurance, nothing to do with them, surely that is the point. They have relinquished responsibility, they have no say in law.
                    Cheap as chips to join NSALG as a group, well worth doing anyway just to support them and be supported.
                    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                      And if you don't have £5,000,000 of insurance, how are the council going to find out about it ? Seems to me that the council's insurance company has no say legally in what insurance you need to have. Would you let your neighbour dictate what insurance coverage you had on your house ? Insurance on ground you are legally responsible for is your insurance, nothing to do with them, surely that is the point. They have relinquished responsibility, they have no say in law.
                      Cheap as chips to join NSALG as a group, well worth doing anyway just to support them and be supported.
                      We get a tenancy agreement re-negotiated every three years including a fixed price lease of the land for that time. It is a prerequisite that we MUST take out PL Insurance and send proof to the council!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X