Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very sad news - advice please

Hello,
    I hope this doesn't offend anyone but I would like advice re what to do for the best.

I've just learned today that my allotment neighbour has unexpectedly died. This was a complete shock because I was talking to her on Sunday afternoon. I would like to look after the plot until her husband is ready to do so but do not want to seem insensitive. I intend to send a message in a card to say I'll keep an eye on things but am not sure what to do about fruit and veg that is ready/will be ready soon (raspberries, courgettes etc) - should I pick it or let it rot? The plotholder was extremely proud of her plot and it is is pristine condition. I also thought of ringing the council to let them know I'd look after the plot for the next few weeks or so.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Julie.
    Julie

Send your card, and include your phone number so her husband can contact you if he wishes.

Comment

Thanks, Rustylady, I'll do that.
      Julie.
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
        Send your card, and include your phone number so her husband can contact you if he wishes.
        But dont be offended if you dont hear from him, as the allotment will be the last thing on his mind.
        Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I think it's a lovely idea to offer to care for things, especially as she was so proud of her plot. I'm sure her husband is worried about it not being looked after. He will have so much to do,apart from coping with his grief. I think the worst thing people do when someone dies is not say anything. We tend to run away from these situations but a card offering help and a phone number for him or someone to ring you is a lovely idea.
          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

'Tis very nice of you to do that and maybe he will visit the allotment as she liked it so much, perhaps it'll give him solitude, perhaps it'd be too raw.

What if you sold the produce from her allotment and put the pennies in a piggy bank for him. That way the produce will be enjoyed by others and not left to waste?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I would really just like to keep the weeds at bay and not let things run to seed so that her husband doesn't come to visit an overgrown garden.
              Julie.
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
                Thanks everyone. I would really just like to keep the weeds at bay and not let things run to seed so that her husband doesn't come to visit an overgrown garden.
                Julie.
                I am sure nobody will be offended if you that anyway, but def drop him a card.
                Elsie

Comment

Originally posted by jaykay View Post
                  Julie.
                  I think thats a lovely idea. Maybe leave the produce by his door with a note so not to intrude?
                  WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'd agree with leaving the produce outside his door, obviously not for a few weeks but what a nice thought.

Comment

When my allotment neighbour died suddenly, we all kept on top of the weeds and picked produce to take to his widow.

Although she said quite early on (this was in July) that she wouldn't be keeping the plot, we kept weeding and cropping for her until October, which is our change over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemon View Post

What if you sold the produce from her allotment and put the pennies in a piggy bank for him. That way the produce will be enjoyed by others and not left to waste?
                        I not sure selling it is a good idea.

Certainly send a condolence card, tend the plot and drop off any produce with him. A very lovely thought.

Comment

or turn the fruit into jams,etc., so he doesnt have to do anything with them staight away and just leave them on his doorstep or in the shed, i agree with the card & contact number too
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

One old chap on our site died a few weeks back. His next door plot holder has been keeping the plot up to snuff and takes produce round to the widow. In a small community you get to know one another so this is easier. It might be harder if you don't know where people live etc.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As others have said, it's a lovely thing to do but I wouldn't contact the council, you never know what their reaction would be.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X