Shelter from wind

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelter from wind

I started work on my allotment in May this year and I'm having a great time making lots of mistakes and even getting to have the first nibble of produce !

Now that I've got something growing in most of the space available I've started to think more about jobs I should be doing around the plot, one of the first I want to do is try and provide some shelter from the wind.

The allotment is in a very exposed position, on a gentle slope with views across open land to the south and the prevailing wind, so when it gets windy (and it can get very windy here) the allotment gets the full force.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips for providing shelter ? The plot is 30ft x 60ft and isnt particularly well suited to high fences/bushes, trees aren't allowed, although I expect would be ok in containers (will have to check).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by manxman; 26-07-2009, 07:51 PM.
    http://iomallotment.blogspot.com/

Hedges are better than solid fences as they filter the wind and slow it down. If you erect solid fences the wind tends to go up and over and causes even more damage. Raspberry canes could provide you with a productive hedge maybe

Comment

Box edging is traditional for veg beds to stop the wind whipping across seedlings.

PS welcome to the vine.
      Last edited by Paulottie; 26-07-2009, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the vine manxman!

What a wonderful spot to grow veggies. Having a blustery wind most of the time can be an asset. You shouldn't be plagued with fungal problems and pests like carrot fly hate it.

I would just protect particularily vunerable crops with mini portable windbreaks such as wattle fences made of woven willow. A cheaper option, but a bit unsightly are the fabric windbreaks supplied for beach use. Ridging of soil to protect lower growing crops can also work well.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Shelter from wind

Just a thunk. When I was on hol. somewhere abroad that was windy, I noticed that the farmers dug hollows in the ground and placed one plant in each hollow. Must have worked OK as we were told they had grown this method for hundreds of years. Don't know if it s practical. I just remembered it.
          There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by ann-the-nan View Post
            Just a thunk. When I was on hol. somewhere abroad that was windy, I noticed that the farmers dug hollows in the ground and placed one plant in each hollow. Must have worked OK as we were told they had grown this method for hundreds of years. Don't know if it s practical. I just remembered it.
            They tend to do this in dry climates also as the depression acts like a sump for any water!
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I recall someone saying to do this and then 'earthing up' as the plant grows, as this helps to encourage a larger root growth and stabilises the plant.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

I sometimes stake individual plants like brussel sprouts which is all the protection they require!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Many thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

Snadger, it is indeed a fantasic place to grow, if a bit expensive I think at £100 for 60ftx30ft, but with the lack of allotments here who can blame the farmer for (not) making hay!

Un/fortunately its also a good place to sit and do nothing and you're absolutely right although this is the first yea the site has been used for allotments I did hear that carrot fly wasn't likely to be a problem.

I especially like the idea of portable wattles, maybe I should get in touch with the local woodland trust people. Presume it would be a good to have smaller ones around the plot to protect specific crops ?
                  http://iomallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X