I've got one!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done DDL
    I've had my allotment about a year now, and it's been great.
    Firstly work out which way you're facing and try and have beds going north to south so they get the sun all day.
    I've got a 4 bed crop rotation plan based on spuds, legumes, brassicas and roots so I know what's going where each year.
    Work out what you like to eat and grow that - big sucesses for me have been spuds, beetroot, perpetual spinach (now growing like a weed all over my allotment), kale and courgettes.
    I dug mine over and got rid of as many weed roots as possible, then divided it up into raised beds - the initial digging reduced me to tears, but hang in there.

Best wishes

Fiona

Comment

Thank you Fiona - I agree with what you've said - I converted my back garden into a mini lottie at the beginning of the year - had the same successes as you!
      Used to hate beetroot - until I tasted the real thing, not the stuff in jars!
      I know its hard work to start with, but once i've decided where my beds are going, am going to tackle one at once - just like I did with the back garden. Taking it nice and steady. I'd I've been down there over christmas/new year but wasnt able to because of the horrible wet weather.
      Happy new year!
      Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi Dexter

So pleased for you, its great having a lottie. I got my shed from a lottie neighbour, who had heard of one going free - he even went and collected it and dropped it off on my plot for me. There are some really good people out there Talked the OH into putting it up as I am lethal with a hammer

Great time of year to get a plot, bet you are itching to get going - have fun.

Comment

Thanks jlottie! Spent 3hours this morning in the pouring rain digging up weeds and laying down black plastic. Didnt want to come home - had a cup of milky coffee from my new flask in my shed looking at my efforts! LOL! Dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
            Thanks jlottie! Spent 3hours this morning in the pouring rain digging up weeds and laying down black plastic. Didnt want to come home - had a cup of milky coffee from my new flask in my shed looking at my efforts! LOL! Dexterdog
            Glorious sunshine all day at my lottie!

Went to the garden centre beforehand and what had been Santa's grotto was full of Sychodelic wellies! Spotted ones striped ones and what looked like tied and dyed ones!

Noah and Nelly eat your heart out!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Congrats Dexterdog.Im just clearing my lottie as due to ill health have to give it up.Will be sad to see it go,but hay ho,my lovley hubby is transforming our very small back garden into a mini plot for me!Hes the best, so I'll still be growing veg one way or another.Hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine for the last 6 years.

Comment

I have to admit I own a pair of bright pink wellies with flowers on (not my choice I hasten to add) - haven't given them an airing yet, don't know if I dare.

DDL my rule of thumb is if the flask is empty, then its time to go home - got a huge flask

Comment

So Snadger what design did you decide on? Bright pink with green spots was always my fave! DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

I think I've done it - with Alices help! :-)

Well folks, I've tried and tried and tried and my OH has also tried - and we've failed! until now!
                    [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0226.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2318257[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
                    Have I done this correctly? well, almost!
                    Photos show me and my lottie, and my shed (both internal and external views) also my OH on my lottie thinking "oh my goodness, what has she done this time?!"
                    Couldn't have done it without Alice's EXCELLENT instructions! Many thanks Alice.
                    Also thanks to Nick who tried to show me "how to" earlier! DDL
                    Attached Files
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Lol DDL!! Nice one! Well done!!!

Tis nice to be able to put a face to the name, and your plot looks great, you'll have it sorted out in no time, just wait til Mr DDL sees all the fun you're having, he'll be down there wanting one of his own!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

You certainly have done it DDL I'm so proud of you Glad the instructions were clear enough to work. Thanks for the pics and look forward to many more. I just love to see what everyone is doing and where they are doing it. Keep the pics coming.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                          You certainly have done it DDL I'm so proud of you Glad the instructions were clear enough to work. Thanks for the pics and look forward to many more. I just love to see what everyone is doing and where they are doing it. Keep the pics coming.
                          Alice - I couldn't have done it without you! a HUGE thank you! Bernie and Dexter the dog
                          Bernie aka DDL

Comment

By the way Mrs D - not one of my best photos! LOL! It was freezing cold and we had been pottering about for a while! DDL Reckon my OH still looks as good looking as he did when I met him 26 years ago!
                            Last edited by dexterdoglancashire; 16-01-2007, 08:59 PM.
                            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Congratulations on the Lottie DDL. It looks as though you are making great progress.

I do feel a little envy. A lottie sized patch otside the back door is very good and easy to manage I do miss the companionship of fellow gardeners.

Anyway I have got all of you on the vine
                              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I see you've adopted the allotmenteers stance already DDL ...leaning on the spade!! Don't forget when anyone comes past to rub the brow and say "Phew!!! Just stopped for a minute or two to get my breath!!!"

Bet you're dying to start planting though, I know I was when I first got mine!!

Amasing how a few tatties will break up the land!

Anyway, good luck and glad to see you out of hibernation!

PS I fancied a pair of the garden centres wellies but unfortunately there were'nt any my size! Such a shame!
                                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X