Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advise on getting my first plot ready for Spring!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on getting my first plot ready for Spring!

I recently was given permisssion to grow some veg on a sloped strip of land behind where I live.
    I have just finished strimming a small section of the land over the weekend. I have yet to add the strimmed grass to the compost heap

I really need some guidance on where to go from here. It's my first time tackling a plot for growing.

http://irishfuschiagirl.blogspot.com/

i'm no expert and im little past a begginer but I would dig it over and cover it with old carpet/cardboard/black plastic sheeting. If you have all that strip then put beds in with paths between. Draw a picture of what you want where and plan where the beds are going to go before you dig. I may be completley wrong but that is what I would do

Comment

Originally posted by walldanzig View Post
      i'm no expert and im little past a begginer but I would dig it over and cover it with old carpet/cardboard/black plastic sheeting. If you have all that strip then put beds in with paths between. Draw a picture of what you want where and plan where the beds are going to go before you dig. I may be completley wrong but that is what I would do
      Would weed control fabric do the same job as the carpet etc as im thinking of purchasing this to do mine.
      I hate slugs!!

Comment

Im not sure we have the fabric at the bottom of my sons sandpit and stuff still grows through and thats through the sand

Comment

I'd put cardboard over it first and then cover it. You can get heavy duty weed control fabric for a number of online sites - Harrodhorticultural and LBSgardenwarehouse are two I have used. If anything does get through(not likely) it will be very weak and easy to deal with.
          History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

yeah i'm inclined to agree cardboard is the cheapest and most effective method

Comment

I have been given some plastic sheeting which I guess I could also use.
              Will try and get a small section dug over the next few days .

Thinking of constructing some raised beds. Would this be a good idea for this plot.

Comment

i agree with cardboard being a better option than carpet or weed control fabric. And it's free!

I'd rake the cuttings to the side, put down cardboard (overlapping with no gaps) and then cover with the cuttings and come back in the spring. You should end up with beautiful dark crumbly soil.
                Last edited by BFG; 11-08-2009, 05:03 AM.

Comment

BFG has it right ... wet newspapers do the job too (weight it down with soil). The soil afterwards is much improved after a few months, and any remaining weed roots come out easily
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just did a trial dig. Soil is much better then I thought. very little weeds.
                    Did as some of you suggested and got hold of some cardboard. There was an ample supply in the bin room where I live
                    Covered a small section of the plot with cardboard, then some grass clipping and then weighed it down by covering again with the upturned sods from the "trial dig bed".
                    A fairly productive 2 hours

Comment

good work. It will be worth it next year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X