Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Injury = Digging Dilema Pt2

Hi all

Well when I posted the last thread I was pretty down and you guys sent me some very kind messages which perked me up and re-enthused me to formulate some new plans. The back is getting better, but it is a very slow recovery. Most days are still very painful, but the pilates helps in the short term. I am trying to do that twice a week.

since my last post, I have fixed up the poly tunnel, had my shed delivered (but not erected yet) and strimmed the site.

I'd like to get the forums views on digging. More specifically rotorvating. I know the horror stories about rotorvating but to save my back I am prepared for the onslaught of weeds. I coped with them last year with a good crop so i'm sure they won't get the better of me. There doesn't seem to be any bind weed, just brambles.

We have had some heavy rain recently, but for the last week it has been reasonably dry. The plot seems to be drying out. I was just wondering the best time to rotorvate? should I wait until it has dried out a lot more? or is it better to be a bit wet? The forecast is dry for most of this week and next. The site's rotorvator is bigger than a mantis, it looks more industrial. Any rotorvating tips would be great.

There is a matt of grass (mosty dead), is this a problem?

I collected a huge amount of cardboard boxes for the method as recommended by Squirrel. Time ran away from me and I did not get a chance to lay them out of the plot. Is it to late for this method? Should I try this on an area of the plot? If not then I might use the cardboard for next years potatoes.

Another long post by me, sorry. Any help appreciated

Glad to hear that the back is improving Wizer, even if it is slowly! Well done on the polytunnel, it looks great, and good luck with getting the shed up!

I'm afraid I've never rotorvated, ever, so I cant offer you any advice on when to do it or any hints, but I'm sure some of the more experienced grapes will be along to offer their advice!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Rotovating is very hard on your back as it requires a lot of twisting, pulling and pushing. I would certainly NOT recommend rotavating with a back injury! Is there no-one you could get to do it for you? It would be a shame to finish up back at square one as far as your back is concerned , thats all!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Wizer, its great to see you on the mend. I agree with Snadger, rotavating is hard work and the bigger the rotavator the harder the work may be! This is because its a heavier machine to use and when it makes a bolt for Australia it takes some lifting out.
        On a plot the size and condition of yours I would rotovate every time....you'll get weeds whatever method you use. Do you not know or can you not find somebody who would do you a days work for a bit cash. Just an idea but good luck.
        Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Or maybe a share in the crops??
          Sorry to hear that your recovery is slow, but sometimes that is better as it is more permanent.
          Plot looks good...I'd cover some of it in black plastic for now until next year when you'll be hyperactive!!... And make use of a small area ( ? inside polytunnel??)
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

thanks guys, Yes, I will probably rope in my Dad to help me with the rotorvating.

So do you think it is the right time to do it? Is there a technique?

Comment

Stand on the sidelines and say ' left a bit..right a bit..you missed a bit...'
              Dead easy really!!!

Comment

Seriously though...not if the soil is too wet- ie it sticks to your wellies.

Comment

Tis literally just fire it up and let it go, you may have to pull the roti back to stop it just bouncing over the surface. ie the backward pressure causes it to dig down to the correct depth. The problem comes when the roti decides to stop going forward and just heads down!
                  Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Hi Wizer - good to hear from you. I'm already jealous! I got my first lottie on Sunday - yours is ENORMOUS compared to mine! All I would say is, take it easy whichever way you decide to tackle it! Have a lovely Christmas and a very happy new year! Looking forward to seeing how you get on. Dexterdog
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

good luck wizer, pulled my pelvis away from my spine a few years ago, my advice is do what they say in regards to exersize, even if it makes you cry, had two weeks of work and was on light duties for 3 months, it was very hard and pain full, but i'm pretty much normal now, had a couple of flare ups but not as bad as the incident, just be very carefull not to push or pull and twist at the same time.
                      and get somone else to rotovate till your fully mended!
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Wizer - do try the no dig method for at least a bit of it. It really worked for me and I had some good tatties as well. You seem to have such a large area - is rotavating really worthwhile? Do you have many perennial weeds? I have too many perennial weeds to rotavate, so I have just done a bit at a time, and the no dig method has given me a patch of land that has just required a little dig over (which I can manage).
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I woud agree with Jenny, go 'no dig' even if on only part of the plot.

By going in with a rotovator now your whole allotment is going to be a sea of annual weeds come spring!
                          All those weed seeds have been sitting there waiting for someone to give the soil a lovely surface tilth for them to germinate!
                          Thiis will mean your whole alottment will demand your attention at once, where'as if you have some areas covered they won't require instant attention!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It's never too late to start it Wizer. The card board will break down in no time especially if you give it a good layer of muck & cove with plastic. The Rotavating will give you a flush of annual weeds seedlings but these can sood be dealt with with either the hoe or some Round up - not ideal but you have to be pragmatic about these things. this will mean that when you so/plant anything the green things should be yours & not weeds.

I have to say I found that rotorvating helped my back problem I guess the vibration of the machine & little bit of jiggling around with it was similar to what the Physio was doing to me any way THat being said I agree with Snadger & Geordie and I'd go very easy until you know if you can handle it or not.

One thing that all of us forget is that gardening is just as strenuous as running but you wouldn't dream of doing a marathon without warming up first so why try and dig a lottie
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

I know what it is like to have back trouble and not be able to garden. About a year and a quarter ago I had severe sciatica and could do nothing at all in the garden for over a year - digging was way out of the question.

As well as all the pain I was in, I was so concerned about the weeds etc, but in the end the garden survived. It still looks good (I have even learned to see certain clumps of grass in the borders as decorative!)

I suggest getting someone to cover the allotment with something (old carpet, plastic etc.) and concentrate on getting your back better over winter with plenty of physio, Pilates and breast stroke swimming!
                              Reine de la cocina

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X