No announcement yet.

Allotment books

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought two allotment books off Amazon.com and two off Play.com.

Can't remember the names of them . I only ordered them yesterday so they ain't arrived yet, but when they do I'll read them and if they ar any good I'll keep them. If not I'll bung em on eBay !

PS Just used the word ALLOTMENT as a search on each site and got free delivery for both lots!
    Last edited by Snadger; 03-09-2009, 09:28 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have looked at a few i got from the library then my sister bought me Your Allotment by clare foster couldn't put it down till i finished reading it and i dont read books usually

Comment

You're just down the road from me, I see!

I'd recommend the RHS Gardening Week by Week book as a handy reference to what to do during each month. It covers all aspects of gardening as well as when to plant veg etc and you can pick up a copy at Wisley for about £7

I also like the RHS Growing Vegetables by Tony Biggs as a good reference guide.
        "Life was easier when I didn't have a clue"

Comment

Have got loads of 'veg. growing books'. Even though a lot of them (by their very nature and subject) will have the same info. it's always good to settle down with a good book and plan how you will put to good use the advice given in them.

Do be careful what you buy though. I have one called 'The Vegetable Grower's Bible' by Edward C. Smith which is written for the American market and so you get pest control advice relating to raccoons. Also 'The New Self-sufficient Gardener' by John Seymour wich is a re-print of a book from the late 70's and so contains loads of info. about pesticides and herbicides which are now illegal in the UK.

Have a look around and choose yourself one or two good titles (in time you'll have a shelf full) sit back and enjoy them.

Have fun.
          It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

I really like Alan Titchmarshes 'The Kitchen Gardener', I've had it out from the library a few times now (I'll get my own copy one day!). It's really easy to read and it covers veg, fruit and herbs whereas most books will either do vegetables or fruit, not both.

Mrs J

Comment

Or you could save money, eat humble pie and cultivate one of you lottie neighbours. Give them loads of bullsh er flannel like "I was told your the best person to ask..." it works wonders! and usually you get free plants and seed

Failing that the Carolyn Foley one is good. I like old book and have loads of them (note to self ... New bookcase required , floor full!) and they are good providing you don't try to buy DDT to spray your brassica's
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

I have the vegetable growing month by month by john harrison and its worked well for me this year think i got it from amazon

Comment

Umm..

I'm only in my late thirties, but my vote goes:

1)Alan Titchmarsh Kitchen gardner as a guide to varieties.

Then I went south a bit in terms of books I wanted to get back to the good old days of planting, growing and working the land and you can find them dirt cheap on alibris or amazon in second hand books:

1)Vegetables and their Cultivation T W Sanders, a fantastic old book describing everything you need to know about vegetables and planting timetables etc.

2)Kitchen Garden and Allotments T W Sanders even tells you how to build walls et al fantastic old treaty on growing.

3)Two Acres and freedom is another one to take a look at

Also gives u a good old guide on selection of heritage varieties.

Hope it helps
                  dave
                  Just an Office Guy trying to grow own food

http://www.allotment13.blogspot.com/

Comment

It depends on your taste but I got all interested in my lottie again after reading Daphne Ledward's Kitchen Garden Yearbook - which outlines her year with her lottie and all the trials and tribulations - including stories of finding her rescue greyhound- then I discover the BBC sacked her as a gardening expert for getting sozzled and also she has had cancer and I knew I liked her all along!
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X