Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fencing my plot

Hi all,

I have been considering fencing my plot off, and my plot neighbour recently said he was interested in doing it too, so we were looking at combining resources and effort and do both at the same time.

We were looking at using 50mm square posts for the sides, but using round 75mm poles at the corners with strainer posts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fencing suppliers the've used in the past for the wire and/or any tips for the actual job itself - I know you need to angle the wire outwards when you bury it to stop the rabbits digging it out and we are in Surrey if geography plays a part in supplier choice.

Many thanks.
    "Life was easier when I didn't have a clue"

Mole valley famers do 50m x 1.05m chicken wire for £40.04
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

We hired a petrol driven thing to make the holes for the posts so much easier than the other sort, about £25 for a whole weekend.
      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
      and ends with backache

Comment

Ours is just simple round fence posts (about 4" diameter and 1.5m high) driven into the ground with a batton at the top and bottom. Cheapo chicken wire is then stappled to the battons to form a barrier. Not rabbit proof or anything but that's not a problem as we only wanted to mark the boundaries to prevent people wandering across by accident.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Ours is just simple round fence posts (about 4" diameter and 1.5m high) driven into the ground with a batton at the top and bottom. Cheapo chicken wire is then stappled to the battons to form a barrier. Not rabbit proof or anything but that's not a problem as we only wanted to mark the boundaries to prevent people wandering across by accident.
          Did you use treated wood stakes or eau naturelle?
          A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
          There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Pretty sure it was treated but (hangs head in shame) just let OH get on with it so am not 100% sure...........

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The chicken wire seems a decent price. For posts see if there is a saw mill nearby. These should be able to cut quarter or half posts for you and at a decent price. Just whack them in with a sledge hammer. As for the wire I don't think there is any need to bend it outwards in an L shape. I've never had any rabbits try to dig around my plot and it made installing it a lot harder than just vertical.
              http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would use treated posts. They are not likely these days to have been treated with things like Creosote which did leach a lot into the ground. You can treat you own by using a piece of drain pipe about 3ft long sealed at one end, supported to keep it vertical and filled about three-quarters full with Cuprinol or similar and stick the post in that for half an hour. You only need to treat the bit thats going in the ground and a little bit above.
                History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X