Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion mulch

Hello again

I have planted my onion and garlic sets, which are doing very well, but need constant delicate weeding between. Can anyone recommend a good mulch to use, I was originally thinking rotted manure, but not sure if this is advisable.

Thanks in advance,
    Stv

Grass cuttings are something I've heard of folks using before, or ash from the bonfire, tho if anyone else has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them too! We too are constantly weeding between our onion sets and garlic!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I use barley straw between the rows, a friend of mine uses fresh grass cuttings. Light mulch (couple of inches, loosely fluffed) at first, stops the birdies picking at young shoots, then when they have poked through gradually layer on another four to six inches - you won't get annual weeds, and it's easy to spot and pull any perennials that make it through.

I sprinkle wood ash on onions from May onwards. If any barley seedlings start sprouting, lift up the wodge of straw they are growing in and turn it upside down!
      Last edited by supersprout; 01-01-2007, 04:53 PM.
      SSx
      not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't mulch onions or garlic - I think it might make them prone to rotting. I have a very good little tool for keeping the weeds down though, I call it a "three pronged doofer" - not sure what the proper name is. It is literally a small hand tool with three curved "prongs" and if you're careful you can use it quite close to plants. Then you only need to hand pull the weeds that are really close to your onions. Good luck, it will be worth it in the end. I've just finished last year's onions but still have shallots in store. Will grow more onions this year. Garlic last year was pathetic, but so was the weather. This year's is looking good at the moment, including some cloves or bulbs that got missed when clearing up (in fact they're looking better than the ones I planted - isn't that always the way!

Comment

Keep the onions and Garlic free of Mulch because of rotting. I hoe in between my garlic Onions and Shallots with a triangular paint scraper.
          Col.
          http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've got two 3 pronged doffers a bitg one & a little one and they are brill. I wouldn't mulch with manure as it will rot them off if it gets up round the bulbs. Also they would get to soft from all the excess nutrients & can fall prey to pests, diseases & they don't keep so well. a light ho ho hoeing is all they need at this time of year
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Benacre View Post
              I hoe in between my garlic Onions and Shallots with a triangular paint scraper.
              Col.
              what a great idea for small spaces, thanks Benacre
              SSx
              not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

I use an onion hoe
                Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Wow! - thanks for the extremely quick responses, it seems the main consensus is to get hold of a three pronged oodjimaflip!? I think i know what you mean, and will try to track one down.

Stv

Comment

If you are feeling really well off, Wolf do abouth 3 different sizes (Ive got the big one & the lil'un and two different handles. The for B'day and Chrismas you can get some of the other attachments ( the seed bed thingy grindery type wotsit is good)
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

I was weeding around onions and garlic today and used a "finger tool". Its a single pronged one of the three finger jobby. It was perfect for the job and for once, no accidents! My plants are in raised beds and I was able to sit on the sleepers. Not a full length tool so prob not so good for onions in a lottie. You could always improvise though and secure a strong bent piece of strong wire on a broom handle!

Comment

The three pronged doofer, doffer, oajimafup,thingy, finger job is a Cultivator!!!!!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Is that the one with batteries??
                          Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X