Might be Getting Another Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be Getting Another Plot

While at my plot today I heard that someone would be giving up one of his three plots, along with a shed AND a greenhouse he wants £100 for them, site managers dad came down and I gave him a note to pass on, OH has had his name down for a while so I am hoping we get it, just one small problem.......... I havent told the OH yet lol. The best bit is not one single weed on it as he cleared it yesterday.
    Fingers crossed.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

I suppose it depends if your OH is top of the list.
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

As far as I know he is at the top or nearly there,I spoke to site manager at the weekend, it might not suit some as its quite shaded.
      and ends with backache

Comment

I'd just like to be in the top 100
        Last edited by pdblake; 15-09-2009, 03:29 PM.
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Jackie. It's only when you get a second plot that you can really begin to grow everything you want to, rather than just those things you think are essential. I don't know how people manage with 'half' plots, and there's currently a tendency for councils to split existing plots rather than provide more.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I managed for 18 months with a half plot - and the full plot wasn't as big as the standard allotment. I managed by having a reasonable sized veg plot at home too. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to getting to grips with a full one! Well done - I hope you manage to get the extra one.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

mixed feelings here...

half of me is saying good luck in getting it....

the other half is pleased your not in my area, because it would really bug me if a second plot was given to someone while theres a treble figure waiting list

Comment

Still waiting to hear. Dont worry if there was a long list I wouldnt be asking, We are only allowed to have one plot per person so OH's name is down, If he is at the top of the list then as far as I see it thats fair. My plot is 15ft long by approx the same wide, so only a half plot, as is the other one.
                and ends with backache

Comment

I'm hoping to take on the plot next to mine which has basically been abandoned for this year.... I'd be happy to have one elsewhere on site if it came to it but we're allowed to knock them together if we have two (there are several multis on our site and we don't have a waiting list generally).... effectively it gives you another metre of width to play with as you only need one path going up the whole thing rather than two up individual plots.... My plan would be to sort it out like mine has been this year, mostly things like squash, potatos and sweetcorn through mulch plastic to kill off as much of the weeds as possible.... might also be getting a rotovator too soon ...

chrisc

Comment

Plot including greenhouse and shed gone to someone else, that plot is in the shade anyway. OH is getting to top of list.
                    and ends with backache

Comment

D'oh..never mind!
                      At least you now know for sure you want another plot!!!
                      Good luck!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks nicos, the plot I was looking at is like mine shaded, didnt have one weed in it and came with shed and greenhouse. New couple came down on sunday to make a start so I gave them some raspberry canes to put in, they went home and came back with some onion sets and other bits. They are lucky being able to put things straight in.
                        and ends with backache

Comment

The people on our site with multiple plots took them on when no-one else wanted then. If they hadn't then by now the site would have probably been closed down!

On our site now people are being allocated half plots which once a shed etc is erected leaves little space for growing. Surely the answer is allocating more land to allotments.
                          Try visiting my websites and blogs

Comment

Originally posted by glallotments View Post
                            The people on our site with multiple plots took them on when no-one else wanted then. If they hadn't then by now the site would have probably been closed down!

On our site now people are being allocated half plots which once a shed etc is erected leaves little space for growing. Surely the answer is allocating more land to allotments.
                            Until about 3 years ago you could walk on to our site and take your pick from several abandoned plots. If you wanted 2 or even three you were welcomed with open arms. The situation had been like this for at least 15 years. There is now a waiting list of about 40, last I heard. I think councils are currently in the position where they recall all too well the days when plots lay empty for years at a time and are loath to allocate more land in case five years from now they're back in a similar situation, but with even more derelict plots to fill. The whole problem is a real mess. I'm one of the people who took on multiple plots to keep the site viable and as I've spent years clearing them, tending them, and goodness knows how much cash on them I'm not willing to give one up; especially as we still have a situation where people will take on a plot, work it for a weekend and are never seen again. There are exceptions, but when plots are allocated to people on the waiting list it's usually the same plots coming vacant over and over again. Splitting whole ones down into half plots eases the pressure a little, but is not the perfect answer. I'm really pleased that I'm not an allotments officer who after years of coasting in a fairly stress-free job suddenly finds himself having to deal with all this.
                            Last edited by bluemoon; 27-09-2009, 11:20 AM.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                              I'm one of the people who took on multiple plots to keep the site viable and as I've spent years clearing them, tending them, and goodness knows how much cash on them I'm not willing to give one up; especially as we still have a situation where people will take on a plot, work it for a weekend and are never seen again. There are exceptions, but when plots are allocated to people on the waiting list it's usually the same plots coming vacant over and over again.
                              We are in exactly the same position as you bluemoon and also would be be very angry if we were asked to relinquish plots that we had spent years of work and money on. We also tend our multiple plots with much more vigour than many who have just one or even just a half a plot. We too have people who liked the idea of a plot but soon lose interest when they realise that it is hard work.

Maybe councils need to be more creative in their ideas of what an allotment is. For instance some council houses have very large gardens that are often overgrown maybe a sort of garden share scheme could be set up whereby someone will share a council garden and contribute vegetables to the householder etc. I know there may be problems when people moved but maybe something like that could be made to work.
                              Try visiting my websites and blogs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X