Bean poles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bean poles

Following on from one of the thread posts on here, I've been thinking about getting some 'bean-poles'.

However.....what do I do with 'em? They are pointed 8' poles, how should they be tied, etc? Help....
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

with string

just incline them so the base is wider than the tops (if you have the room you can make it a 4ft diameter circle & leave one pole out to allow you to get inside to pick any hanging inside) & then tie the tops by whipping round about 4 or 5 time as tight as you can before tieing it off ( a reef knot looks good)
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Quiete easy really I run a cross over at each end then spaced out at 18" intervals the same way with a bearer going along the top and bottom all tied with string.
      http://lowestoftnaturalist-benacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Okay NTG got the string! How many poles to make a stable wigwam effect? They come in bundles of 12.

Can't quite figure out what you mean Benacre, sorry.

Comment

If i remember right a 4ft circle uses 16 poles (less one for the door) If you can get hold of a steel bar you can poke holes in the ground first to pu th ends in. But I guess you could just use 12 and have a larger spacing between them in the circle just as easily.
          ntg

Comment

Blimey Nick that seems a lot of poles. Was thinking of making a couple of 'wams of 6 poles each (but not 4ft diameter obviously).

Comment

go for it SBP you'r probably looking at 2ft dia. The only thing is if they are tall & narrow based they may blow over if there is a good wind when they are covered in beans. The wider the base the more stable it will be
              ntg

Comment

I'm just being mean NTG - the only 8ft poles we can find are £10 for 12

Comment

you'd probably be OK with 6. it would nearly be half the height wide you'll just have a bigger spacing thats all between poles. but put the ends a good 6" - 8" in the ground.

Is there any reason you are buying these rather than 8ft bamboo canes ?
                  ntg

Comment

Eco-friendly rural-trendies?

We've got some bamboo canes left, but last year our borlottis ended up nearly parallel to the ground when the canes snapped with their weight. The OH wants hazel poles cos they're a local reknewable source.

Comment

These are the ones we use on our plot sbp, for beans and squash.
                      You can tie netting to them or make a lattice in and out of the vertical poles with willow, string or canes - it gives the plants something to cling on to.
                      Spacing is 1 - 1.5ft apart for arbour and trestle, diameter of wigwam is about 1m.
                      We sow four beans at the foot of each pole, or plant one squash seedling.

Some of my gardening chums run the trestle type East to West, with the South side sloping (supporting the beans) and the North side straight (straight supports, no beans). They do this for an earlier yield and they say the dangling beans are easier to pick
                      Last edited by supersprout; 03-01-2007, 06:44 AM.
                      SSx
                      not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Thanks SS, got any pictures?

Comment

Sure!

Trestles & Wigwam (Sun Bright runner bean on wigwam)

Native wood trestle - Borlotti and Gigantes - clearing new ground on 2nd plot

Native wood wigwam in front, bamboo trestle behind supporting tomatoes on strings

Sorry no pics of squash (Burgess Buttercup) arbour (I used wide bore black alkathene pipe over 5 ft bamboo canes) but will put that right this year!
                          Last edited by supersprout; 03-01-2007, 07:07 AM.
                          SSx
                          not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

We were going to use ustic poles and netting ti make our pea and beab supports this year, kind of like an A-frame with the netting supported at about a 30 degree angle, but after seeing this thread I'm not so sure now! I've seen lors of wigwam type affair on out plot that look very unsafe, but those pictured here look good, is there an advantage to using canes as opposed to using supported netting?
                            Blessings
                            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                            Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                            Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                            On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X