Potimaron

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potimaron

I have grown some of these for fun and they have now turned a beautiful deep orange. Can someone please tell me when I should cut them for storing?
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Any time now I should think. Certainly before the frosts come. They keep for ages. I usually cut them leaving as much stalk as possible - wipe them over with a mild bleach solution and keep them in a coolish place. Last year, I was using the previous year's potimarron when the new batch were almost ready for cutting. I just love 'em they make the best pumpkin and sweetcorn soup ever
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

I grew these last year and cut them just before the end of November. I had been away though and couldnt cut them before, I think I was just lucky there were no frosts until I got home.
      I would advise pretty much now I think.
      I didnt wipe mine with anything really, just brushed off a bit of dirt with my hand, and left them in my garage.
      And yes indeed, yummy they are, although my seeds that I saved spoiled, so didnt grow any this year, grew BNS instead.
      Bob Leponge
      Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I cut mine the first week in October last year, they'd probably been ready for a week or two by then, but i waited until our Grandson was there to 'help' as pumpkins are the only crop he's interested in at the moment. I actually grew them for a friend as I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin, so I just picked up any old pumpkin seed packet, but tasted one and they are absolutely delicious. I've grown loads more this year, but I think my friend is going to have to fight me for them. One or two of the bigger ones of ours are still yellow, but they went in late.
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I cut a box full a couple of weeks ago when I thought the plot would flood (thankfully it didn't). So I'd say anytime now is good. Also it might help bring on any smaller ones that aren't quite there yet.

I should add they are the best tasting squash I've tried so far and will definitely be on my list of seeds for next year. If you're confident they haven't cross polinated with another variety you should be able to save the seeds.
          Last edited by Matt.; 18-09-2009, 09:03 AM.
          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

this my first year with them ,so full of flavour,even when steamed along with other veg,is an absolute must to grow them next year,
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thanks all, looks like its cutting time then!
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X