My Leeks are Seeding - Help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Leeks are Seeding - Help

Hi to all you gardeners and allotment holders, .. planted 72 leeks about a month ago and several are now showing signs of going to seed,: ... any ideas why? your advice would be helpful, I have been pulling out the long seed stems and feeling very sad as these were very strong young plants when I set them in, this year I set them in a bit deeper than last year 6", ... this year around 8.5 to 9".
    I was looking forward as we all do to a bumper crop this winter, but it's not looking to good at the moment.
    please help.

i cant help with the why, but am having the same issue with a few of the store brought seedlings i got this year. the ones i sowed from seed myself are all fine.
    would also be interested in knowing more, and whether i should let them continue to grow and produce seed, or take them out and wait for one to go to seed next year.
    thanks in advance.
    Finding Home

Comment

have they been stressed/gone short of water? A few of mine are bolting (the rest have leek moth maggots) ... it's been very dry here, we've not had decent rain for over 2 months now.
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 03-10-2009, 07:15 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
        whether i should let them continue to grow and produce seed
        Why would you want them to produce seed? You want the seed of leeks that don't bolt early.

Comment

For the first time ever some of my Musselborough leeks have sent up premature seedheads. Haven't done anything different to what I usually do so can only assume its climate related. Only one or two up til now, so here's hoping the majority will be ok!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ooooer, I've got about 80 Musselburghs but they're ok at the moment but then most of them are under runner beans so I can't see a lot of them but they've been getting watered regularly so hopefully they won't bolt....
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

It might have something to do with the strange 'summer'.....that we had in September.

Comment

Couple of mine went to seed in august, I just made sure I used them first
                WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  have they been stressed/gone short of water? A few of mine are bolting (the rest have leek moth maggots) ... it's been very dry here, we've not had decent rain for over 2 months now.
                  Hi Two Sheds and all you other very helpful individuals, lack of water – good suggestion although It may be relevant - they are set down around 8/9 inches deep and hopefully reasonably in damp conditions, however as this season (in my area Norfolk) has seen serious lack of rainfall I am inclined to think this may well be the cause, I have been watering them but it’s not the same as a good steady rainfall on a regular basis.
                  Yes I also have the dreaded leek maggot busy amongst them as well, and I suspect that due to them struggling to get away and grow strongly they are susceptible to these creatures as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scar_UK View Post
                    ... (in my area Norfolk)
                    Can you put that into your profile? Then we can all see where you are, and tailor advice appropriately.
                    Cheers!
                    Two_Sheds
                    Just Down The Road From You

Comment

Dryness is usually inplicated. Nip out the flower buds straight away and use those leeks first. You'll have a thick stem down the centre - just take that out and use the rest.
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        Why would you want them to produce seed? You want the seed of leeks that don't bolt early.
                        ok thanks.....still new to this growing game!.
                        Finding Home

Comment

Originally posted by kiwirach View Post
                          ok thanks.....still new to this growing game!.
                          You can save your own seeds: but save from your best plants ... biggest, tastiest, last-to-bolt etc

Comment

Usually find that the leeks I planted for earlies are inclined to bolt but the ones to stand over winter don't, at least not until spring when you would expect them to!
                            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X