I'm moving sideways!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm moving sideways!!

Last year as a newbie to our plot i was given the back end of an old fella's plot which was six foot high in nettles.
    I have worked my socks off and it is now my little bit of heaven in Rugby.
    The plot next door to mine has been neglected for some time and i was approached to see if i would like to have a full plot.
    I ummed and arrged and then said no as i could not bare to give up my half plot i have worked so hard on.
    I was then written to by the committe to say someone on the waiting list only wanted half a plot so would i like the back end next to my plot so i could move sideways.
    I didn't think twice.
    So tomorrow i go up there to start work on my new bit of land which funny enough looks just like my half plot did a year ago.
    I am so thrilled will keep you posted as to how i get on.
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

I was in the same position a couple of months back. I had a lovely half plot with winter veg already in place. However, We don't pay for our plots till March so I am gradually clearing the old half as I eat up the produce and my lottie partner is happy to have me continue to come on the plot and harvest stuff (after all, I have paid till March!)
    My new full plot is next but one to the old half. It was in good nick so I didn't have to think twice!

Good luck. Two halves is still a full one!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

That's great news Miffy You get to continue using the plot you've worked so hard on, while clearing the new part
      Can't wait to see some piccies! I love looking at other people's plots

Comment

Congratulations miffy! Its nice to se that SOME allotment committee's are prepared to use a bit of common sense!

Enjoy your new 'extension'!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I will take some piccies when i go up later this week, am clearing all my paperwork from school and doing planning and have left Thurs to Sunday to go up the plots.
          Will keep you all posted.
          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Congratulations Miffy, that's great news.
            Bex

Comment

Is it not called crabulating..........moving sideways?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sounds fun! Good luck!
                All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
                For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

Fantastic news!!!!!

What are you thinking of growing there- or is it going to join in with the general rotation??
                  Is there a really good spot for a bit more fruit??
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I thought because my other half plot is divided into raised beds that i would try no dig beds without the boards around them, that way i could grow more of what we have loved this year but didn't have the room to have a big crop.
                    So sweetcorn is a definite for one bed. Some fruit bushes i think, any suggestions to some easy ones to grow, had no success with my raspberries though they were in shade don't know if that was the reason or it was on account of me being clueless!!
                    Also thought some flowers for the beneficial insects would be good and for cut flowers too, any suggestions re these would be fab.
                    Have already planted lots of onions and garlic in the strip we had our spuds in at the beginning of the year as we love them, on our established plot.
                    Will be going up soon and will take some before and after photos and post them on my blog, as i only have the before photos of my lovingly tended plot and have some super fab pics of how it looks now taken in the summer so will pop those on too.
                    Thanks for all the encouragement guys.
                    MIFFYXX

Comment

Fruit bushes I'd grow are blackcurrant, gooseberry and blueberry . And then some strawberries. No harm in trying raspberries again- you might find a different area is better!

Have you got rhubarb...that's more than easy!

Comment

Thank you Nicos that sounds fab, would white and red currants be good too?
                        I love rhubarb i have a crown that was in its first year this year so didn't harvest but could put another plant in as i love the stuff!!

Comment

Excellent news - moving sideways is still moving. Onward and upwards eh?

Can't wait to see piccies.
                          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
                            Thank you Nicos that sounds fab, would white and red currants be good too?
                            I love rhubarb i have a crown that was in its first year this year so didn't harvest but could put another plant in as i love the stuff!!
                            Don't shout at me peeps!!!..but I've never really got my head around red and white currants, although I have 2 white and 3 red ones on my plot.
                            Neither have much flavour ( for me) and there's only so many puddings one can decorate!!!
                            Yup- the fruit are very expensive to buy - if you can find them!!!!

( someone convinse me otherwise please!!!)

Yup- they would be fine on the lottie- they are pruned differently though to blackcurrants!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X