How's your leek 'grass' doing Zazen?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's your leek 'grass' doing Zazen?

Just in case everyone thinks I've finally cracked, this is a follow up to an earlier thread (which I can't find, haven't really looked to be honest!) an experiment I tried of 'shaving' a leek flower head to force it to grow a vegetative 'grass' on the top which when seperated and planted SHOULD be a clone of the original.

Zazen was having a go at shaving a few leeks as well!

Just an update to say that I harvested half of my leek heads grass and planted it in potting compost. Within TWO days I had roots forming and within a week the plantlets are standing up like little soldiers!

Once they are established I'll prick them out into individual pots and take it from there!

Have you tried any yet Zazen?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Funnily enough - I saw them this morning.

I took 2 of the shaved heads off about 3 weeks ago - the same time as I harvested the other 12 leek seed heads - and potted them up.

They looked pretty useless for a while and I thought earlier this week that I'd lost them.

But, today they have perked up and I have more seedlings than I anticipated.

I'm leaving them be for a few weeks yet, and will put them into the compost once the toms/peppers die off over winter - so that I can keep an eye on them.

Timeline - my leeks were sown in 2008, planted out this time last year, and the last 15 to flower were uprooted and heeled into their own bed during late spring so that I could save the seeds. At the start of August this year, Snadger said he had shaved his so I shaved 3 of mine, and 2 grew the leek grass. The other one is still stood there doing nowt.
    Last edited by zazen999; 25-10-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

I just wonder when they will run to seed and what I can do to stop this happening too early? I'm keeping them in a cold greenhouse until spring. As leeks are a biennial I should have about 18 months before they bolt..................but we'll just have to wait and see.

Both my leek seed heads are still growing in a large pot (now in the greenhouse) and even the one I didn't shave has a load of grass peeping out between the seed florets.

If possible I would like to harvest some of them as 'pips' without the grass growth, to dry off a bit and re-plant in Dec/Jan along with the fresh seeds.
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Aye, me too.

I chopped down my leek stalks [that which was remaining when I chopped the seed heads off] yesterday and on nearly each leek, there are baby leeks growing at the bottom.

Methinks I might just try a 'perpetual' leek bed; rig up a small half meter raised beds and fill with leeks, and just slice off above the root each time, and see how that works. If a bit of root starts looking dodgy, dig it up and replant the baby that are growing from the side. It cold be dug up once a year, dead bits removed and all babies put back in.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
          Aye, me too.

I chopped down my leek stalks [that which was remaining when I chopped the seed heads off] yesterday and on nearly each leek, there are baby leeks growing at the bottom.

Methinks I might just try a 'perpetual' leek bed; rig up a small half meter raised beds and fill with leeks, and just slice off above the root each time, and see how that works. If a bit of root starts looking dodgy, dig it up and replant the baby that are growing from the side. It cold be dug up once a year, dead bits removed and all babies put back in.
          Intersting idea Zaz!

My two seed heads were grown from king pods at the base of original leek (the ones you are seeing now) Mine also have king pods growing from the base..........a king pod from a seeded kingpod so as you say these are turning into perpetual leeks!
          I've been having a bit of a look ont tinternet and by all accounts I'm supposed to keep my grass leeks above 50 deg F during the winter.
          Sod that says I, as I can't afford to heat my greenhouse for a leek experiment. The way this leek grass is growing (being originally from a show leek) it will be ready for eating by Christmas anyway!

I'm going to see a man about an old tractor at the weekend which runs on petrol/paraffin. If I buy it (which hopefully i will)I will have to buy paraffin anyway so I may be able to fire up my little paraffin fired sump heater which burns for 10 days on one 2 litre filling. A small enclosure within my main greenhouse may be able to be kept frost free with this!

I used to show leeks and its starting to happen again..................sodding leeks are taking over my life!

PS I remember Two Sheds saying she harvests leeks by cutting them off at ground level and they usually regrow..............just wondering if it's the king pods that are growing and not the original leek?
          Last edited by Snadger; 28-10-2009, 08:16 PM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X