Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law and the size of allotments etc, advice needed please

Hi all

Hope you knowledgeable grapes can provide me with this before a council meeting tomorrow evening. Would like to know the exact law on Council Owned Allotments, full plot size etc etc and rights as a plot holder. A big ask I know but you're help would be appreciated

Thanks all x

I'm not sure that there is a law relating to the size of a plot and rights can vary very much from area to area depending on what is in your contract and any rights on the bit of land. Sorry not to be much help but somebody else may know more later.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Your rights will be in your tenancy agreement along with whatever your annual rent is.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Have you been on the NSALG website Sue?

The National Society of Allotment and Leisure Gardeners, NSALG, Allotments, protect, promote, preserve, grow your own

Comment

A standard allotment is '10 rods.' that's 302 square yards.(250 sq M).

In these times of high demand some councils have been allocating smaller plots and many folk have accepted this (partly because of modern time pressures.) Really the council should provide more land....but that is a subject in itself

Your 'rights' are covered in a few bits of legislation.including The Enclosures Act 1845, and Allotment acts of 1908, 1922, 1925 and 1950 there are also some stuff contained in the Local Government acts 1972 and 1980

In brief they say that the council, given a demonstrable demand, must provide land, at a modest/peppercorn rent, on which the parishioners can grow food (principally to feed their families.) You are required to keep the land reasonably manured and cultivated. You may not run a business on the site. Plus they set out tenancy rights. usually a month to quit for you and year to quit for them. (unless the rules are broken, rent is 40 days+ in arrears or you move one mile from parish when its only month to quit)

There is also compensation details(depending on time of year) and long term sites are 'statutory' making it more difficult to reclaim the land for development without providing a suitable alternative....more of an issue when demand was low.

Allotment 'rules' vary from site to site and you should receive a copy with your tenancy. They normally set out things like: not subletting, sheds, structures, tree planting, shading out others, bonfires, water usage, paths, scrumping, making a nuisance of yourself and maybe the upkeep of communal areas. Livestock, although in theory allowed (by 1950 act) is, in practice, subject to site rules. If the site has an association they may impose /influence some rules.

Finally, although there is nothing specific to stop your selling your gluts away from the site whilst still 'principally feeding your family'..... In many ways it is important to preserve the principals of allotment provision so some sites take a dim view of any commercial activity (except their own shop to which they turn a blind eye.... sorry the cynic in me). All I am saying is it is a bit of a grey area... so be careful to find out.

Its a big subject but I hope this outlines it for you.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful! x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X