Unusual organic herb plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual organic herb plants

Not sure if this is the right thread; if not, apologies to moderators and please put this in the right place!

I've recently found small Perthire-based nursery Plants for a Purpose when hunting for Alecost (Costmary) and other hard-to-find companions this year, at www.plantswithpurpose.co.uk

From their new catalogue, they seem to compare very well with e.g. Jekka on price and presentation. From the list, you can see at a glance what plants attract insects, are aromatic, for medicinal use, culinary and drinks herbs, or for dyeing, laundry and household The proof of the pud is of course the quality of plants that arrive - haven't put a toe in the water ... yet.

Plants average £2.30, min. order £10.

I'm thinking of choosing from:

Costmary
    Lad's Love
    French Tarragon
    Golden Hop
    Elecampane
    Lovage
    Basil and Moroccan Mint
    Milk Thistle
    Orange and Caraway Thyme

will let you know what the plants are like when they arrive, which won't be until March. Thought others might be interested if you haven't come across them already
    Last edited by supersprout; 08-01-2007, 12:41 PM.
    SSx
    not every situation requires a big onion

This post has me wondering. Do you think we need a Herb board? I would be interested in what everyone thinks about having a dedicated section for herbs.
    [

Comment

How about a herb bed!!!!

Comment

Excellent idea - grow (and eat) loads of them.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Could be a good idea L J. I know we did have quite a few members who were interested in herbs for more than eating (NO NICK - I don't mean smoking) .
          Good idea to see what interest there is.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Great idea about the herb board LJ. Does anyone know where I can find some Lemon Verbena seeds as I'm really struggling.
            Bex

Comment

I agree too.
              I'm pretty boring when it comes to growing herbs as I keep managing to kill them off ( I wonder if they could be annuals??? )
              Would be good to try some less common ones- esp as companion plants.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Bex View Post
                Great idea about the herb board LJ. Does anyone know where I can find some Lemon Verbena seeds as I'm really struggling.
                It says here that cuttings are preferable to seeds: http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/orga.../cosmetics.php
                I bought mine as young plants and will do so again this year

Herb bed Piglet - I really fancy giving this a go:
                http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Gr...a_Herb_Spiral/
                Last edited by supersprout; 08-01-2007, 07:19 PM.
                SSx
                not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

I'll just have to keep an eye out for a plant at the garden centre if seeds are going to be difficult to get. Thanks for the info Supersprout.
                  Bex

Comment

As I am a mere babe at 38 years old, I thought some of the oldies like Nick and Snadger should try Loveage as it will make them, well "love" their "age".

Having been given a bit by Wellie and finding it grows 6' high its now planted on the lottie and this year will be pillaged for use in soups.

Comment

yes please a herb bed.
                      Thanks for the information Supersprout. I've been researching lately as I want to grow arnica, soapwort and various other things.

Came across some information about herbs for sale at Ryton on the garden organic site and some books/info at this site http://www.botanical.com/

My herb bed contains parsley, coriander, thyme, mint, lavender and garlic. I have seven types of thyme at home, one apple mint, and rosemary. Have put my name down for a bay tree from my MIL's cuttings.
                      Would love to talk herbs.

Comment

and can it include spices as the two fit quite well hand in hand. Its amazing how something earthy like ground cumin can transform a soup form being nice to exceptionally good.

And home made garam masala, wow!

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                          and can it include spices as the two fit quite well hand in hand. Its amazing how something earthy like ground cumin can transform a soup form being nice to exceptionally good.

And home made garam masala, wow!
                          Great idea piglet willie, wasn't sure I could grow cumin - one of my very fave spices. Add it to any veg beginning with C and it really changes things. I tried it with cabbage, courgettes, even cucumber!
                          Coriander grew briliantly when I chucked some seeds down in September - still green now!

Comment

I dont think any will grow readilly here but they can be incorporated into the board

Comment

Supersprout
                              Many thanks for the tip, will check it out, I was looking for horehound as I had a recipe for making cough sweets with it.
                              And LJ I think a Herb/Spice header would be good. Be useful too for passing on tips and recipes for making stuff like handcream and dusting powder which we don't really feature at the moment.
                              Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X