Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November potato sprouts

Hi,

I've grown a lot of potatoes on my allotment this year and haven't gotten around to digging them all up yet (that's an understatement). About 1/3rd of them are pink fir apple which I had thought I could leave in the ground all winter and dig up when needed.

The rest are Picasso, Charlotte, and Belle de Fontenay.

I also left a few of the red duke of york and some blue ones that were really good 1st earlies, I think. The problem is that the red dukes of york now have 2 ft plant tops on them! I haven't been to the allotment in 3 weeks until today when I harvested my pumpkins...

Is this going to happen to all of them? What's the fate of the red dukes of york?

I am also wondering if anyone knows anything about the Autumn planting of potatoes. Last year, I put some home-grown Maris Peer in the ground in Autumn and they grew wonderful potatoes without a lot of top growth in the Spring. It's definitely neater that way if it could be true for all potatoes.

Anybody?????

Comment

I haver put down some poatoes but im growing them from tuber. I am puting them in a tub and putting it in those plastic unheated greenhouse. I am also growing poatoes i planted in the summed and to be honest i don knwo what so ever. It seems to me that they are quite hardy but dont lik wind or frost.
      Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

The fate of the red Duke of York is the frost will finish them of but you could well get some spuds from them if the frost leaves them alone....jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Only trouble with leaving them out all winter is that the leaves will be killed by frost. If the land is spare give it a go.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X