digging techniques

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    I was thinking of electric tools (Tillers, Strimmers etc) when I asked. I grow in the garden so do not have the same problems. My back could not take all of that digging.
    After seeing quite a few big strapping blokes being thrown around like rag dolls whilst using hired rotavators, I think my back would be better suited to digging than riding the waltzer with a rotovator in my hand!

As it happens, my digging days are hopefully now over, as after a major first dig of the allotments I have now adopted a 'no dig' strategy, not because I can't dig but because I don't now feel the need to! Tickling soil and adding heavy mulches is the way forward for me now!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      I have now adopted a 'no dig' strategy, not because I can't dig but because I don't now feel the need to! Tickling soil and adding heavy mulches is the way forward for me now!
      That's exactly where I am at now Snadge, the only tool that touches the soil is my trusty hoe & of course my trowel. Long may it continue.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I used a fork for digging cos I had very heavy sticky clay and some wag appeared to have buried bricks, terracotta pots, broken plates, milk bottles and a galvanised dustbin in my garden during the past 100 years and it was easier to work the fork through rather than a spade.

Soil is much improved now but it is a habit, I think, to reach for the fork to dig. Soil still caps and the dogs compact it so it is still easier. I may have a go with the rotavator when I've weeded it and moved the plants I want to keep.
        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X