Shall I take the plunge or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shall I take the plunge or not?

Today I've been offered my first allotment but it comes with some quite restrictive conditions. Do you think that these are going to make it too difficult to work the plot.

The following are not allowed:
    Fences must not be erected
    Sheds or any other structures are not allowed (you can erect a wooden compost bins in a communal area)
    Polytunnels cannot be used
    Chairs, tables etc cannot be left on site
    Tool store is not allowed
    Plastic bags/refuse bags must not be left on site
    No tools (which I wouldn't leave anyway) not sure about a wheelbarrow (I will never get this in my small car so would there maybe a problem if I have to take this home every visit)

In fact it sounds like nothing other than soil and plants actually in the ground can be left there.

Also we have to mow the grass path which sounds fair enough but the allotment I have been offered has its long side of 15m adjacent to the path. I only have a heavy petrol mower which I will never be able to get into my small hatchback. Any suggestions of how I can do it (2m wide path)

The ground maybe waterlogged but I do not know if my plot would be. The council say that raised beds maybe the answer.

Several people have turned down the allotment but as the weather is so bad I cannot go and look at it. I really want to have it but wonder if it is going to be too much hassle.

I would welcome some advice.

Thank you

Is there water available? what size is it? How much does it cost? Perhaps you can talk to some people on either side of the plot and see what they think, how they cope?
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

They are quite restrictive aren't they!!!

Having said that, there are ways and means; and I don't have any water on site nor a wheelbarrow. But if you can't have a shed then you can't have water butts that fill from it.....

I'd go down and see if anyone is around and chat about it...

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

The allotment site is brand new and each plot will cost £20 a year. Water is available from a stand pipe which I guess is usual.

The plot is 15m long x 6m wide and there are allotments on either side for the 6m. All the other plots run lengthways but this one is width ways with unused ground above the long side of 15m (I don't know why). I have only been sent a plan.

Am I going to be constantly weeding because of this land?

Best wishes

Mary-Anne

Comment

With a vegetable plot be it allotment or garden, you are always weeding...

Comment

You'll be constantly weeding on a lottie anyway, especially at the start - it's more the mass preparation at the beginning that's the problem. You could get hold of a small hand mower if needed; rather than use a heavy one.

There's ways and means of doing everything; you'll just have to keep a fork and some hand tools in the car! Depends on how much work you want to put into it I suppose.

Comment

If the other plots on either side are productive, then all being equal(assuming the ground is roughly level, your one should be too.
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

hi there-and welcome to the Vine!

hmm..been thinking about this...

you certainly need to talk with your neighbours as to any problems they have.

It certainly seems as if they don't want to encourage any vandalism/theft of property!

Fences must not be erected- do they have any probs with bunnies???
                Sheds or any other structures are not allowed - fair enough, but that means tools left in your car
                Polytunnels cannot be used -OK so you can't grow indoor toms and more delicate veg...can you grow those at home if you really want to grow them? At least you won't need to go and water every day! Seedlings will need to be germinated and grown on at home- is that a problem?
                Chairs, tables etc cannot be left on site you can always sit on a rg/sheet- or on a few planks of wood balanced to make a bench...or folding chairs in the boot
                Tool store is not allowed-again- keep in car
                Plastic bags/refuse bags must not be left on sitegood- they're potential rubbish anyway
                No tools (which I wouldn't leave anyway) not sure about a wheelbarrow - you can buy folding ones- but buckets are useful

What about cloches and bird scarers???...or would those only be OK if designer ones bought from Harrods???

water- how faraway is it ...is there a hosepipe reaching your plot, or do you have to lug your water in containers? where would you keep those?
                How do others keep the paths cut? A petrol strimmer would do it- but that's very £! A small push mower would be hard work.

yup- I'd tell them you'd like to have it but need to speak a few things over first with other peeps down there once the weather settles down a bit.
                ...it could be superb!!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Mary-Anne View Post
                  In fact it sounds like nothing other than soil and plants actually in the ground can be left there.
                  that's because you live in posh Surrey and the neighbours want to look at a Chelsea showground, not a working allotment

It wouldn't suit me. I don't have a car for one thing, so I couldn't carry tools, lunch and chairs up every day on my bike.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You really need to see the site - you can't make a decision from a map or plan. Get up there on a Saturday morning and talk to the other plotholders too before you make a decision.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Doesn't sound as if it would suit me either. A lot of allotmenteering is make do and mend. We can't all afford petrol strimmers, cars to cart the tools etc.

Comment

Our site has similar restrictions. It's very small (11 smalish plots) and borders on the churchyard. As it's a village site everyone can walk there with their tools. It depends on conditions there, how far away you are and how determined! I think £20 a year is a bargain!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi

I would have thought everything could be worked around apart from the rabbits. If they have access to the site, with no fences, they are going to think all their Christmases have come at once.

Dave
                          Fantasy reminds us that the soul is sane but the universe is wild and full of marvels

http://thefrontyardblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Can you Google Earth it? Just thinking that would maybe give you a better idea in situ - I'm useless with 'flat' plans, but with the two to refer to before you can get up there, might give you some food for thought?
                            'May your cattle never wander and your crops never fail'

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice and especially for the suggestions of further questions I should ask. I am not sure anyone is working it at the moment as it is brand new but if so I will try and make contact with them. I've looked on google maps and it cannot be seen from the lane but is near some massive houses so I don't know if that is why you have to pack up everything. I don't know if I'm being daft but carrying my garden chair back and forth is the thing that gets me. Got to have a sit down and a cup of tea after all!

Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can go and look at it.

What tools do I need to start off? I have the a spade, hoe and trowel - is that all I need. I would have to invest in a folding wheelbarrow? Also apart from weeding how can I keep weeds down without resorting to weedkiller. Do you think I could grow organic which I would prefer to do but not sure if you need to be a bit of an expert to do it.

Is there any particular veggies that are easy for a new gardener and others I should steer clear of. I know absolutely nothing and have only ever grown mustard and cress on a windowsill with the kids. I was thinking of growing asparagus because I never buy it because of the price and then trying most of the veg we eat everyday. Also, soft fruits which don't seem to have much flavour from the supermarket. I've ordered some seed catalogues. Should I buy organic or doesn't it make any difference except to your purse?

Once again everyone. Thanks so much for your help. I am so tempted to take it even if there are problems but will speak to the Council again on Monday (doubt that I'll be able to get to work) and get up there asap.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X